Honey

fmueller

My dad is a beekeeper back home in Germany and makes the world's best honey - I might be slightly biased :wink:

When we lived in the US, he would always bring small buckets of honey over for me, and he'd come often enough to cover my honey needs. Of course you cannot bring honey to NZ, so my supply has dried up.

Does anybody know a beekeeper in or around Auckland who sells local honey from their own production at a reasonable price? If it is good and the price is right, I am interested to buy in quantity. Tired of paying store prices for tiny jars, and I don't need Manuka honey.

3105171-md.jpg

My dad with his bees.

fmueller, have you tried the Avondale Sunday Market or the Otara Saturday Market? I remember seeing a stall selling large jars of honey for reasonable prices.

Beekeeping would be great if you had a large section and crops (or neighbours with crops) requiring pollination. However, in the city there is still enough garden flowers to support a hive - I've identified a stack of beehives just a couple metres north of the university of auckland business school.

fmueller, have you tried the Avondale Sunday Market or the Otara Saturday Market? I remember seeing a stall selling large jars of honey for reasonable prices.

Beekeeping would be great if you had a large section and crops (or neighbours with crops) requiring pollination. However, in the city there is still enough garden flowers to support a hive - I've identified a stack of beehives just a couple metres north of the university of auckland business school.

Hives in urban areas often do better than in the country where the farmers are on shorter and shorter rotations and more and more ferts used to force the grass to grow faster and faster

I might start beekeeping at some stage in the future when I have a bit more time. Gotta get back into fishkeeping first :wink:

The Auckland Beekeepers Association also recommended farmers markets. I'll give that a try, but I find it hard to believe that none of their members sells excess honey from home. My dad supplies half the village in Germany, and has even sold some through stores, and he has only 8 hives at the very best of times, mostly less.

My dad is a beekeeper back home in Germany and makes the world's best honey - I might be slightly biased :wink:

When we lived in the US, he would always bring small buckets of honey over for me, and he'd come often enough to cover my honey needs. Of course you cannot bring honey to NZ, so my supply has dried up.

Does anybody know a beekeeper in or around Auckland who sells local honey from their own production at a reasonable price? If it is good and the price is right, I am interested to buy in quantity. Tired of paying store prices for tiny jars, and I don't need Manuka honey.

3105171-md.jpg

My dad with his bees.

Last I checked only honey from NZ (in its original unopened container) and honey from Pitcairn Island (with a permit) are permitted entry into NZ.