Help with a rabbit please

camtang

So my partner and I have been discussing getting a rabbit or two for our little girls and over the weekend we got given a hutch.

I like the bigger ones, but for logic reasons, I think our hutch is too small for a big one. So what are the smaller types in NZ? Also what are some basics of them for keeping them friendly and alive.

Thanks

Females are more expensive to spay than males are to neuter if cost is a consideration.

Daily handling will make them friendlier - the more you handle them the more they crave it.

Also remember that hay should compose 80% of their diet, followed by veges and then pellets, not the other way around as i know some pet stores tell customers :S

I know with male mice their urine smells much more strongly than female - does anyone here know if that is the same for rabbits?

Also the small hutch shouldn't matter if they are let out for most of the day to roam the house/yard and are just sleeping in it.

I agree that you will need a bigger one if that is to be where they spend most of their time, but remember that rabbits can get bored and need enrichment (boredom often means destruction, as with most animals).

Agree with the Mini Lops, little girls love them, very cute & cuddly looking. Also easy to source and not expensive. Partner's grand-daughter breeds them, and they appear fairly easy-care. Avoid the long-coated types until you are sure your girls are interested enough to spend significant time grooming them!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

cute bunny looks like a californian netherland dwarf. I use to breed and show mini lops for around 10 or so years. Got to know every medicine and how it worked etc with bunnies i still get the odd vet ringing me up for info.

they make great pets you can even house train them!