Anyone breeding festae?

missa

AFAIK, only one shipment in recent years, I bred them a couple of times but didn't have much luck with the fry before the male killed the female, despite having 800L to themselves. I think there are a few individual fish floating around, but haven't seen any confirmation of them being successfully bred.

Absolutely beautiful fish, I've never seen another FW fish of comparable colour to a female in full breeding dress, but disappointingly timid and lacking in that big cichlid attitude.

DSC00540Medium.jpg

DSC00545Medium.jpg

Wow I thought the female would be the more aggressive one!

What do you mean lacking in attitude? I thought these were ment to be in the top five for aggression in cichlids? Were they mellow?

Also any idea on cost for one? Even back then to give me an idea. Ta

Aggressive, for sure. The male was about 10" when I sold him after he killed the female and he got added to a big tank of already established large cichlids, where he continually picked fights with a 12"+ flowerhorn until the FH got sick of it at put a stop to it. However, as a pair they were pretty reclusive after I removed the clown loaches and other fish I had with them so I could breed them. They were shy and would usually hide when I approached the tank. Certainly not an interactive "wet pet" like a large jaguar or midas/red devil.

• 7 months later...