Importers

Mat_hunt

Im curious too, are there any importers who get specifically high quality stock, instead of the mass produced stuff? Like quality fighters/guppies/whatevers from a top Thai breeder as opposed to the culls we get. It seems like most importers get their fish from wholesalers who just focus on making as many fish as poss

Everyone want top quality fish but don't want to pay the high price for them. Importer is not going to bring in high price fish if they can't sell them. Not a lot of people will pay $$$ for a quality fighter when they can get all those rubbish crossing being bred in NZ for $5.00.

Yeah unfortunately thats very true. But the recent Redwoods import where they asked us which fighter colours/types we wanted in the next shipment all got snapped up within a week or so and they were priced around the normal 50-65 range youd see for the nicer types.

I think theres definitely a market for them, even if not imported often, just enough to get some good blood and start up some quality lines. Then every now and again a fresh import of some more quality stock so our lines dont get too inbred.

I saw some amazing guppies yesterday in Australia and I usually hate guppies but honestly, these guppies were stunning!! completely made me change my views on them. Theres so much more out there than just vt and orange guppies...its a shame nz has to miss out on them

Yeah its always a gamble, could go both ways. How feasible do you reckon it would be to get a bunch of interested people willing to pay an importer to get some. I know its against forum rules to organize it on here but just wondering the feasibility of it all. How much is the average cost to import? Eg how much in general do the inspections/quarantine/etc cost

Is it cheaper/easier quarantine-wise if they come from Australia compared to Thailand?

Guppies are a high risk fish to import and that is why most importers keep bringing fish in from exporters they know and are familiar with. They usually have freight deals for bulk imports so you would be looking at it being pretty expensive. I have not been involved for a long time so am not aware of present costs.

Everyone want top quality fish but don't want to pay the high price for them. Importer is not going to bring in high price fish if they can't sell them. Not a lot of people will pay $$$ for a quality fighter when they can get all those rubbish crossing being bred in NZ for $5.00.

You know ill pay the price Ron, if you can get me what I want

Discusguru wrote:

Everyone want top quality fish but don't want to pay the high price for them. Importer is not going to bring in high price fish if they can't sell them. Not a lot of people will pay $$$ for a quality fighter when they can get all those rubbish crossing being bred in NZ for $5.00

So true, you bring them in and when they see the price you don't see them again :lol:

For most a fish is a fish, only experience hobbyist seem to appreciate quality of a fish.