new 390l temperate marine tank

boom

Looks like you still have mainly shore rocks (non porous) and not coral rocks?

As livingart said earlier, these kinds of rocks can't support much bacterial life as they have very poor surface area.

I did try to buysome. No luck.

So what are u to do.?

I have a few peices in the sump along with ceramic tubes and bio balls.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work so far Boom it's exciting watching stuff develop!

Re the rock / bacteria thing, rocks from the sea will only support a low tank bioload, plus they will not be very good for nitrate reduction. Nitrate is reduced by anaerobic bacteria, so you need porous rocks with low oxygen areas inside the pores for these types of bacteria to live. Scoria does not cut it, because if you have a close look, it is full of lots of little bubbles. But they are not connected, for bacterial purposes it is not near as good as coral rock which in effect is full of little tunnels, perfect for what we need.

The other thing that will reduce nitrate is a deep sand bed, a crude one can be made with washed beach sand, taken from an area with a larger grain size.

If you get some uncured coral rock, putting it in the tank now might kill all your creatures. A good way for you is to go & drop it in a rock pool & leave for a couple of months, after that it is ready to go straight in the tank. Have used this method myself it's good because the rock is exposed to all kinds of salt water bacteria. There's lots of people around where I did it so found a deep pool, moved a few rocks on the bottom & put my coral rock in, then put the natural rocks back on top. Which also saved my rocks from getting washed out in rough seas.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the concern.

My tank is fully running

only coral I have is in the sump with ceramic noodles and bio balls

I have paua s

cray

anemones

Triple fins

blemie

star fish

shrimp

prawns