Worm type organism

Caldwell

• 1 year later...

Just noticed today...I've had hundreds of little white threads floating around my tank, thought it was probably just some little fragments from plant leaves and debris.  Just now realized the apparent wiggling wasn't just due to the current.  Turned off the pumps so the water is calm...Yup, definitely hundreds of little squirmy worms floating around in the water.  Never had a noticeable amount of them before.

Pictures are needed for proper identification :) "Detritus worms" and "Stylaria" are both very common and look more "thread" like. Planaria are flatworms and are very easy to tell apart (they're, well, flat). In my experience they're both common in aquariums and are generally harmless (there is some concern around whether Planaria might predate on eggs, though). 

Both will feed on excess foods/debris and high amounts can be a symptom of overfeeding. Otherwise they're just a normal part of your tank's "ecosystem". I personally have Stylaria in my water however it only shows up on food tanks (daphnia etc), fry tanks and empty tanks - presumably because my larger fish feed on them and there's excess food in the three types. They're cute and wiggly (mine are a teeny bit bigger than microworms) but creepy under the microscope.

• 3 years later...

Are you kidding, dude? Your work is masterpiece. Frankly speaking, It looks like these photos were made by the skilled person, who easily can be called professional. Such conclusion is made because of the color depth and right selected lighting. If it's possible, I would like to see the photos of the bobbit worms made by you, because they will look at its best, because of your professionalism. Hope you will decide to do this. Of course, it would be a bit difficult to find them, but be sure, that it's worth it.