Pitcher plants? Other emersed nitrate eaters?

alexyay

Two topics, wouldn't mind combining them into one if possible. But I imagine it's not!

PITCHER PLANTS

I've fallen in love with these and wouldn't mind some out on the deck (apartment, not exposed to any rain/wind/etc), but have NO idea where to start.

- What are the most common pitchers available? Something simple for a beginner, and will work in lower humidity and temperatures. I love the red marbled types but if anything like aquaria they could be more difficult than basic green types.

- Is there a clean "List" for what's available in NZ?

- Is lighting an important factor? My room gets very little light so I'm thinking they're going to have to go outside.

- SOILS! What kind of setup do I use for these? Any particular soil layers? What kind of drainage do they need? They'll probably be hung up on the wall somehow, so they'll definitely drain nicely.

- I have a feeling I may have to provide extra food - I may be able to get fruit flies, and we get mosquitoes during the summer, but not much else. Are there any particular insects that are best for the job?

And now the nitrate eating part.

So, I know the typical options are things like pothos, peace lillies etc for growing out of HOB filters. I'm looking to see whether there's anything available that's a little "different". I'm having some trouble keeping them down on a couple of tanks - of course willing to do extra WCs but it'd be nice to get something else natural to help out.

It needs to be low-light (again, room doesn't get much light, the tank light is directly on top of the tank so that won't provide much either), "small" and big on "eating" nitrates.

So,

- What kinds of "oddball" plants are available in the above requirements? I like ferns, which are typically low-light plants anyway, are they possibilities?

I'm thinking carnivorous plants may not grow too well in a setup where their roots are constantly in the water. Am I right in this thinking? They also (from what I read) don't really care for nutrients as they gather those from being fed. So I'm thinking they probably aren't an option. BUT if anyone's done anything or read anything about any carnivorous plants working, I'd loove to know!

If the carnivorous plants are a no-go, "food" plants would be of interest. Herbs or anything like that. Mint is doing awesome in another tank of mine, but seems to really rely on light and is struggling to expand where the light isn't strong.

Iv just recently got into Pitcher plants, i have acquired a Nepenthaceae species that needs to be wet all the time. It may work if its warm and the roots aren't suffocated.

I have a Nepenthe species, It's very demanding.

neplap.JPG

My partner is in to them and it seems they have various requirements and seasonal requirements. There are some good books in the library which may help you pick what you want. We are debating getting a terrarium set up to keep a few varieties. They don't really feed through the roots so I would think there would be more suitable plants out there.

I agree with Alan, we ventured into Nepenthes a little at the nursery I used to work for and they were grown in a mix of coconut fibre and pumice, no fert whatsoever. So I think if you want something to suck nitrates Pothos/Epipremnum is your best bet (and if anyone is interested the woman I got mine off is selling them on TradeMe once again).

IIRC, there are two main groups of Nepenthes, the highland and lowland species. The highland ones are more tolerant of cooler temperatures and generally easier to grow. The lowland ones require a fairly warm humid climate year-round to thrive.

Not sure if there is a list of what is available, not sure if they're still growing them at Coromandel Cacti (could email him to find out) but we had 4-5 different varieties, some names some not. I have seen some very nice ones offered on trademe a few years back too. There is a carnivorous plant society, I'd suggest you look them up if you want more info.

So it definitely seems that carnivorous plants are probably a no-go for emersed roots, but I'll have a look at the Coromandel Cacti - lots of species to go through there!

I might look more into ferns for the nitrate-eater? :dunno: I'll grab something like a pothos for Dad's tank, but am going to look into doing something more aesthetic based for mine. Any ideas for a tank with a rim that a HOB filter can't get over? D:

I have my pothos just lying on top of the tank. Stems go through a hole in a plastic plate that sits over one of the little cutouts in the lids. Has grown heaps and has a nice big bunch of roots hanging into the water at the back of the tank.

• 3 months later...
My partner is in to them and it seems they have various requirements and seasonal requirements. There are some good books in the library which may help you pick what you want. We are debating getting a terrarium set up to keep a few varieties. They don't really feed through the roots so I would think there would be more suitable plants out there.

The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato is by far the best book for everything you need to know.....I have it and a few others but found his to be the best and great photos. He even briefly mentions NZ in it. Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand is also a good read. Have fun and welcome to the CP world.

Two topics, wouldn't mind combining them into one if possible. But I imagine it's not!

PITCHER PLANTS

I've fallen in love with these and wouldn't mind some out on the deck (apartment, not exposed to any rain/wind/etc), but have NO idea where to start.

- What are the most common pitchers available? Something simple for a beginner, and will work in lower humidity and temperatures. I love the red marbled types but if anything like aquaria they could be more difficult than basic green types.

- Is there a clean "List" for what's available in NZ?

- Is lighting an important factor? My room gets very little light so I'm thinking they're going to have to go outside.

- SOILS! What kind of setup do I use for these? Any particular soil layers? What kind of drainage do they need? They'll probably be hung up on the wall somehow, so they'll definitely drain nicely.

- I have a feeling I may have to provide extra food - I may be able to get fruit flies, and we get mosquitoes during the summer, but not much else. Are there any particular insects that are best for the job?

And now the nitrate eating part.

So, I know the typical options are things like pothos, peace lillies etc for growing out of HOB filters. I'm looking to see whether there's anything available that's a little "different". I'm having some trouble keeping them down on a couple of tanks - of course willing to do extra WCs but it'd be nice to get something else natural to help out.

It needs to be low-light (again, room doesn't get much light, the tank light is directly on top of the tank so that won't provide much either), "small" and big on "eating" nitrates.

So,

- What kinds of "oddball" plants are available in the above requirements? I like ferns, which are typically low-light plants anyway, are they possibilities?

I'm thinking carnivorous plants may not grow too well in a setup where their roots are constantly in the water. Am I right in this thinking? They also (from what I read) don't really care for nutrients as they gather those from being fed. So I'm thinking they probably aren't an option. BUT if anyone's done anything or read anything about any carnivorous plants working, I'd loove to know!

If the carnivorous plants are a no-go, "food" plants would be of interest. Herbs or anything like that. Mint is doing awesome in another tank of mine, but seems to really rely on light and is struggling to expand where the light isn't strong.

From my years of keeping these I found that Nepenthes generally don't like to be submersed in water...in saying that I have kept both N.alata and N.ventricosa submersed and they have done swimmingly. Mind you I do keep mind in a greenhouse or in my very hot and stuffy 1 bedroom unit.

The Sarracenia pitchers ("Ground" pitchers) can do well being submersed, I have had several different species outside and most of them have flowered.

Of the Drosera (Sundew) species I have kept, most do well sitting in water baths and I can say the same for Dionaea muscipula (Venus fly trap).

Utricularia (Bladderworts) like to be very, very wet and there is an aquatic species but not sure if it's is in or allowed entry into NZ??

Keeping CP is like keeping fish, somethings work well for others but can epically fail for others. And plant shops and CP collectors will often have differing ways of doing things, but whatever works for you. And that's my 5 cents worth.

• 1 month later...

I used to be pretty big in carnivorous plants...

The Pitchers could mean Nepenthes - Tropical rainforest or Sarracenia - Typically Americas swamp/grasslands dwellers.

Neither like nutrients in the soil - they evolved in low nutrient environments and cant cope with them in the roots.

Sarracenia are the easiest to grow, they are based around a rhyzome, and over winter either slow down or grow more "normal" leaves.

Nepanthes arent frost hardy, need high humidity and just are generally more fussy.

I grew scarracenia in either live sphagnum, or peat moss/vermiculite mix. They need to sit in water - ie dont let them dry out and they thrive in high humidity.

They are very easy to grow from rhyzome division.