DIY Sodastream Co2

Mudguard

There seems to be a good bit of information on here and on the web about making a Co2 system with a soda stream bottle. I'm sorry if the topic has been done to death, but I'd still like a bit of advice about what to get.

I've picked up a second hand sodastream maker with two spare co2 canisters. I'll get those filled at a supermarket.

I also bought this adapter: http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/food-beverage/other-beverages/auction-734411011.htm

I'm looking at regulators now, and wondering if I can get away without a solenoid. I suppose if you didn't have a solenoid, you'd have to turn the regulator on and off every day, and make sure it's adjusted to the right level every time you turned it on(which could be a hassle?).

Do you think it's better to have some safety valve stuff on the regulator, too?

I'm looking at these regulators:

normal: http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/lifestyle/home-brewing/auction-731791618.htm

with safety valves: http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/food-beverage/other-beverages/auction-733112538.htm

I'm looking at these regulator/solenoid combos:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/aquatic-plants/auction-734170439.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/aquatic-plants/auction-734169257.htm

I'd welcome any opinions on pricing and quality of above items, or recommendations of other good places to pick these items up.

I use the last regulator you posted (from Raymond on TradeMe) and find they work well with sodastream cylinders. Getting one without a magnetic solenoid would be a huge hassle, running CO2 is all about timing so you will need to hook it up to an electronic timer. Don't forget to get a CO2 proof check valve and CO2 proof tubing too.

Hmm, well the stuff arrived.

I took the regulator and put a plastic ring in the bottom of it. I screwed the sodastream adaptor into the bottom of the regulator.

I put a plastic ring into the bottom of the adaptor and screwed the sodastream bottle into it. Now at this stage, something should have happened?

I plugged in the solenoid, and still nothing.

There's an instruction with the adaptor, that if nothing is happening to use an alan key to turn part of the adaptor...I don't have a small enough one, at moment but can get one. I was just wondering if there was something else I hadn't done. There is another alan key supplied with the regulator, but not sure what that is for.

Any ideas? I can post photos, if necessary. Have also contacted supplier to see if he can shed light on the matter.

The allen key that came with the regulator is for tightening the joint between the regulator body and the sodastream adaptor. You might want to add another O ring in there (should be a small clear one on the outside of the hex hole in the regulator).

The trick with the allen key in the sodastream adaptor is that it controls the height of the pin. Each sodastream bottle is a little bit different so you need to find the exact height where the pin will press on the valve. Set it too high and it won't open the valve so no CO2 will come out. Set it too low and it will press on the valve too early releasing CO2 before you can get it sealed up.

It's all about finding that sweet spot, one way of doing it (if you're brave) is to put the pin as high as possible, screw the adaptor straight onto the sodastream bottle and use small allen key to tighten it until the CO2 just starts to come out.

Some valves are pretty violent though so you could be in for a shock or cold burn on your hands. It's best to lower the valve a little, fit the adaptor to the regulator and then fit the bottle to the adaptor, safely testing if the pin is low enough.

Hey, I recently did the exact thing you have, as you can see in the topic over here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66922

I got the exact regulator, and by the looks, adapter as you - albeit not from Raymond directly. I found the O-ring in the adapter to be pretty poor, and had the same issue with getting no gas when not adjusting the adapter, and leakage when doing so. To fix I grabbed an o-ring from Mitre10 and threw that between the adapter and the regulator. Alongside that I got some gas PTFE tape from mitre10 and wrapped that around the thread between both the regulator and adapter, and the sodastream and adapter. This seems to be working out for me so far.

Best of luck!

Cheers. I finally got it set up, but wasted 3 bottles fiddling with adapter, and also broke a bubble counter and a check valve while trying to unscrew them from hose. :cry1:

I'm not sure if need to replace bubble counter as can see bubbles entering bottom of diffuser. I also guess co2 drop checker of some kind will also help me figure out correct pressure. Any advice on what should be looking for when measuring co2 in tank?

Cheers. I finally got it set up, but wasted 3 bottles fiddling with adapter, and also broke a bubble counter and a check valve while trying to unscrew them from hose. :cry1:

I'm not sure if need to replace bubble counter as can see bubbles entering bottom of diffuser. I also guess co2 drop checker of some kind will also help me figure out correct pressure. Any advice on what should be looking for when measuring co2 in tank?

A bubble counter is useful for adjusting, but I guess you can use that method too. Neither are super scientific and a drop-checker is likely to be more helpful. You can grab a drop checker off trademe from mikefish, he sells a kit which contains the drop hcecker, ph solution and 4dkh water. Alternatively you can buy the drop-checker and ph solution from www.fish-street.com, but then you'll have to get the 4kh water somewhere else. I am currently looking for some 4dkh water, I believe mike will sell some, so might hit him up about it soon.

I've got a ceramic diffuser, and it produces bubbles and some smaller bubbles. I guess a diffuser that can produce a finer mist might be better? Another question, if the co2 drop-checker is indicating green would that also necessarily mean safe for fish? Or, how do I figure out how much carbon dioxide in tank is safe for fish?