Crypts Melting?

Insectile

Do crypts melt through having tannins in the water or even soft water in general? Last week I added some blackwater from my driftwood soaking tank into my main tank after adding some ember tetras and this morning I noticed that half of my crypts have started melting. I did add the water in cold but thats what I always do and the crypts have been fine, the only difference being the water had tannins in it. So I was just wondering if there was any association between tannins and crypt melt?

Last month I put 2 large oak twigs in my 54L tank, and within 2 weeks the water was brown with tannin, and all the crypts melted. They are only just starting to pop up again. I think it's because the wood is softening the water and probably altering the nitrates.

I am well aware that crypts are very touchy, its not the first melt I have had. I am pretty gutted as they were really starting to get going. Is there anything I can do to stop the melt further? Would a waterchange with tap water rather than softened water help?

• 1 month later...

I feel your pain my Crypt was looking great on the weekend and so was my sword plant but all of a sudden they are melting The only thing I did was top up some water in the tank and add 2 green cory cats. Really frustrating as the swords was looking amazing. Good luck with your crypt. Many years ago I had a 4 ft tank and the bottom was completely covered in crypt it all started melting i pulled all the leaves out then decided to pull all the roots out. I then threw it all away John Gilliland ...a very good fish keeper in his time told me they grow back by then it was to late lol.

I have had a lot of plants melt over the years but think I have solved it mostly.

1. light- use lights that are 6300K and 2700K together as stronger light will kill them

2. Keep pH around 7 as acid will melt them

3. Use substrate fertiliser such as flourite.

Hope this helps :)