Help with my gaining skills

Hello everyone,

I am currently applying for a position at a local pet shop.

So my question is what skills/previous positions would you want someone who looks after aquariums commercially before you let them take care of your fish?

p.s. first post :dnc1: so please excuse me if this is in the wrong section

What types of aquaria have you kept so far?

I currently have 4 Golden Comets and a Black Moore.

I have kept Neon Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Black widow Tetras, Mollies, Danio Rerios and Scissortail Rasboras all well into old age.

I adore learning about anything Marine related so that should help :thup:

If I was a shop owner of an aquatics shop I would be looking for a person with the following:

Experience in keeping fish themselves

A general knowledge about plants, medications, food, filters and other dry goods.

Someone who has experience dealing with the public - patience, tolerance and can relate well to all nationalities, age groups and experience levels

A person who is prepared to do manual tasks ie tank cleaning, shop cleaning - dusting etc

A person who has an eye for details

A person who has had some form of retail experience

One other thing that I forgot to add

Be prepared to say if you don't know the answer. You can either find out from someone else in the shop, or take the contact details, find out and call them back. It is way better to say you don't know than give them the wrong information.

Fishkeeping is a hobby, fish keepers are passionate about their hobby and they don't like to be led in the wrong direction.

You should have fairly indepth knowledge as you'll be asked a lot of questions from the customers you should be able to answer - it's no good going to ask someone else constantly if you don't know.

I worked nearly eight months in a lfs finishing just over a year ago when I fractured the disk in my back, causing it to compress my spinal column (I hasten to add this was not caused by the job).

Prior to my starting I had over 30 years fishkeeping experience, in depth knowledge on many species and what I thought was a good general coverage of most of the other aquatic areas. Nothing could have prepared me for the massive range of questions I was asked about absolutely everything in the shop and more. In the way of dry goods I learnt to repair filters, replace all types of light bulbs, where starters were located, set up every type of filter available for sale, know which filters came with media included and what it was - a mere drop in the ocean. There is so much out there that one has to ask the others in the shop and not worry about doing so.

I also learnt that when someone has a problem it is rare that you are given the whole story the first time you ask. Sometimes you need to ask the same questions many times, just phrase them differently and eventually the whole story will come out.

I can't recommend any good sites for it but these forums might be a good starting point. They need to be relevant to NZ conditions e.g. as here in NZ you can get very few strong over the counter medications. There are also NZ facebook pages. But as with everything you read, you need to sift through the answers.