South Island towns

camtang

hhhm 2hrs 6 mins ChCh - Timaru!! Don't know when it last took me that long to do the trip :)

Timaru has a very small pet shop in the main street. Feedback from my friends who still live there is that its not much use for aquatic stock.

The Mrs said two hours as well, so I will try do it in 35 min......

But in all seriousness, my girls have a skating compensation down that way in a couple of months so I figure I could scratch the fish itch while I am down that way. So if there is any shops or breeders worth looking at please let me know.

sorry, I didn't know you are driving a Lamborghini Aventador but good for you, go for it, the police will probably not even be able to measure your speed... :wink: (over 282 kph)

hhhm 2hrs 6 mins ChCh - Timaru!! Don't know when it last took me that long to do the trip :)

oy, we have to drive according the road conditions down here. not our fault that all the money is used up in AKL to look after the roads :wink:

oy, we have to drive according the road conditions down here. not our fault that all the money is used up in AKL to look after the roads :wink:

Yeah but you probably still have nice trees down there. In Auckland they are chopping all the trees down beside the motorways to make them wider. Looks bloody horrible now. Just like Austrailia. :facepalm:

haha - I am Christchurch born - lived there the first twenty four years of my life and in Timaru for nearly 12 years.

I did note when the President and I drove to Dunedin from ChCh for conference it took over 2 hours to get to Timaru, mostly due to the number of trucks.

But in all seriousness, my girls have a skating compensation down that way in a couple of months so I figure I could scratch the fish itch while I am down that way. So if there is any shops or breeders worth looking at please let me know.

What is a skating compensation?

What is a skating compensation?

Both of my daughters do speed skating and my partner is their coach ( She used to represent NZL in numerous skating disciplines) so the reason we are heading down is the regional competition which from my understanding is the trials/test for nationals.

Also from what I hear if they make nationals and start getting good, skating can be mighty expensive, so daddy's fish hobby may need to take a break... :tears:

If you will be driving through or round Chch on a Friday anytime after 4pm (indeed, any day after 4pm) the traffic may well be at a standstill on main roads out of or into town. It would be wise to allow an extra half hour traveling time for road-work and congestion delays. :nilly:

The only thing worse than living under the bridges on the Avon river because EQC don't want to know or do is trying to drive on the roads they have suddenly decided to do repairs on or to. I think the richest person in town must be the person who hires the orange road cones.

The only thing worse than living under the bridges on the Avon river because EQC don't want to know or do is trying to drive on the roads they have suddenly decided to do repairs on or to. I think the richest person in town must be the person who hires the orange road cones.

I agree - I have never seen so many cones. There must be millions of them.

+1

Maybe take the inland (aka 'Tourist') route? Or programme your Navman for 'random' :lar: It'll probably be quicker!

Do you guys mean to say that there are traffic jams outside of Auckland? I thought that only happened when the farmers take their sheep out of one paddock and down the road to the next one.

:bggrn:

Unfortunately yes. With all the road works around the city, road closures etc for earthquake repairs as well as the fact the population has shifted massively all at once, our roads in certain directions are rather congested and can't cope with the demand.

:(

I miss not living on the south side, the drive to work was so easy.

I think that the most frustrating thing is that when you go somewhere you will probably have to go another way than you usually do, even if you only went there the day before. I guess it does mean that the powers have come down from cuckooland and are doing repairs so eventually things will return to normal. I wouldn't advise holding your breath.

Unfortunately yes. With all the road works around the city, road closures etc for earthquake repairs as well as the fact the population has shifted massively all at once, our roads in certain directions are rather congested and can't cope with the demand.

:(

I miss not living on the south side, the drive to work was so easy.

That comment is so true. The ring roads weren't built to cope with the central city traffic loading and now everyone tries to use them. I do find it frustrating also that the turning arrows don't seem to be on in many of the bigger roads, particularly when the lights have them available for use. As I am only a visitor to ChCh these days I often get stuck at them waiting for it to come on to find out that its not hooked in to the system.

However there appears to be major works going on - perhaps the planners may have been better to do one main route around one side of the city and complete it before putting road works everywhere making nothing the preferred route. Thats easy for me to say though :)