Substrate - Flourite & Dalton's Aquatic Mix

Mudguard

I picked up a couple of bags of flourite black sand a few weeks ago at a slightly reduced price. It seems like I may need another bag or two to get a 3" depth in my 80 long x 35 wide tank. I could buy more, but it is pretty pricy. I was wondering if I could use it over Dalton's Aquatic Mix.

by the way were can I get daltons aquatic mix ?? tried n mitre 10 no luck :(

I m planning to do 2nd planted tank n planning to add just daltons aquatic mix ..does any one here have luck with it ??

I m planning to do 2nd planted tank n planning to add just daltons aquatic mix ..does any one here have luck with it ??

I got mine at Bunnings. I understand garden centres might have it, too. I have a little tank I just set up to temporarily house some plants. It has a layer of Aquatic Mix covered by pea gravel. Plants seem to like it, so far.

3" sounds quite deep. My fluorite is at most 2" deep and the plants still grow wild.

That's cool. I just got that figure(3") after doing a quick search online on substrate depth for planted tanks.

That's cool. I just got that figure(3") after doing a quick search online on substrate depth for planted tanks.

Aim for the lowest possible substrate at the front of the tank (around 20mm) and slope it up toward the back for a maximum depth of 75mm. Most plants only need 50mm but if you grow monster amazon swords and crypts then the deeper substrate will benefit them.

Odering's should have it. I find it works really well, just need to cover it with something otherwise it gets stirred up really easy.

If it's labelled "aquatic mix" it'll probably be alright? Check the label, maybe?

Aim for the lowest possible substrate at the front of the tank (around 20mm) and slope it up toward the back for a maximum depth of 75mm. Most plants only need 50mm but if you grow monster amazon swords and crypts then the deeper substrate will benefit them.

Out of interest, what's the rationale behind low at front, high at back?

Out of interest, what's the rationale behind low at front, high at back?

When creating an aquascape we tend to plant taller plants at the back and shorter plants at the front to give a clear view of the whole aquarium. Making the substrate deeper at the back facilitates taller plants. It's also used to create a sense of depth within the aquarium.

Hi there,

I set up my planted tank almost 3 months now. I used Dalton aquatic mix at bottom for 2.5cm deep and and another bag of flourite black 2~2.5cm on top of it(same reason, too pricy). The total depth of substrate is 4~5cm, same level of substrate at front and back.

My tank is 60cm*40cm*40cm. Here is the result.:)

14047380149_5030b31322.jpghitech planted tank Benson C NZ by popo2424, on Flickr

nice set up

I tried hard in growing those plants in the front of ur tank ..was not success full may be my light is not gud enough

I m setting up a monster tank :) so trying my best to get every thng proper

cant even find the Dalton aquatic mix any were , m goin to Tauranga to ava look in there Bunnings next week

Nice looking tank, above. :cophot:

I like to go as shallow as possible at the front (down to less than 10mm if no plants) for aesthetic purposes. I don't believe it stresses the tank much more than having water in it.

Cool.

nice set up

I tried hard in growing those plants in the front of ur tank ..was not success full may be my light is not gud enough

I m setting up a monster tank :) so trying my best to get every thng proper

cant even find the Dalton aquatic mix any were , m goin to Tauranga to ava look in there Bunnings next week

Thanks.

I got my dalton mix from bunnings hamilton.

Are you talking about glossostigma elatinoides? if so, yes, they are quite hard to keep up. they need high nutrition and high light to keep it low. But...I'm only used cheap LED set that I bought from china website and I don't even know what is the wattage of my lighting.