Windows XP professional (SP2) CD needed

my hard drive crashed the other day so I bought a new hard drive to install a new system. the drive arrived today and I started with the installation but now I figured out that the windows XP professional CD has a scratch and it aborts the installation half way thru. now I am looking for a windows XP professional SP2 CD. could someone lend me their installation CD ? once the system is running I should be able to register it with my CD and my product key / serial number again. thank you

my hard drive crashed the other day so I bought a new hard drive to install a new system. the drive arrived today and I started with the installation but now I figured out that the windows XP professional CD has a scratch and it aborts the installation half way thru. now I am looking for a windows XP professional SP2 CD. could someone lend me their installation CD ? once the system is running I should be able to register it with my CD and my product key / serial number again. thank you

You know XP is out of support, essentially obsolete, right? I wouldn't actually suggest anyone install it. Get a copy of 7 instead.

+1 to what the others have said, if I were you I would go on pricespy and get the cheapest win 7 premium you can find.

Also lending an XP CD from someone might not work with your serial number as there are many different "series" of XP cd's where only certain serial numbers will work with certain CD's.

Good luck!

+1 to what the others have said, if I were you I would go on pricespy and get the cheapest win 7 premium you can find.

Also lending an XP CD from someone might not work with your serial number as there are many different "series" of XP cd's where only certain serial numbers will work with certain CD's.

Good luck!

thank you all for your constructive answers. I know I have to update to windows 7 or 8.1 soon but to legally do that without paying way too much for a full license I need to install my xp professional first or am I wrong ? yup, serial numbers do only work with certain versions that's why I was specific about the version I need.

right now I am working with a steam powered Compaq Presario from the last century with a Celeron processor, very slow :phb:

would it be better if I ask for a windows 7 DVD then ? anyone ? :wink:

What I meant with different series of XP is that you can have two seemingly identical cd's of Win XP Pro SP2 but they might be from different "batches" so to speak that one serial number may not work with both cd's. I have tried this myself.

You can buy a Win 7 OEM Dvd for around $130. I recommend you do that if you think you still have some life left in that computer.

And yes I know oem licenses are "to be installed on a new computer only" but since you have bought a new hard drive the oem is justified so you are not breaking any rules.

You can buy a Win 7 OEM Dvd for around $130. I recommend you do that if you think you still have some life left in that computer.

my computer 'ingredients' are not that old and will cope with win 7, I was just still using windows XP professional (OEM version as well - I sold them back in the old world) because I am lazy and because of all the soft ware I still have and use and because it is (or was) a very stable and reliable operating system. where can I buy an Win 7 OEM DVD ? I was looking for that option but all I've found were keys and soft ware updates via email. (answer by PM or email if preferred, thank you)

Grant agrees with hovmoller as the best option for buying the software.

Windows 8.1 would be his preferred choice as on most hardware it is slightly faster than Windows 7 and with 3rd party desktop menu to restore the proper start button it works very well on non touch screen systems.

The touch screen design is what puts most people off and the lack of the old start button. He has installed a number recently and they all work really well.

The only catch might be some peripherals may not work - like older printers and scanners.

Also check that the software you want to run will do so. If not, go back to 7.

thank you both for your help. the steam driven Compaq Presario from last century I am using now is normally my 'print server' for my Alps printer I am using to print decals. if my scanner wouldn't work with windows 7 or 8.1 I will just connect it to this old system.

found an old copy of my XP professional CD (must have had a brain fart once and made a copy - lucky me) now where is that driver CD for the mother board :an!gry