Stupid heaters

aaron11

:an!gry :an!gry :an!gry

I brought jebo 100 watt heater from hollywood fish farm

as i thought they were better quality than the aqua one heaters

All going well then tonight my temp was just above the green safe bit on glass tem thing so would of been about 28

i checked it tank is still warm but its been of for ages.. i will check it in the morning to make sure its ok

I checked on the heater it was on 24 which had been keeping it at 25

I took it out and turned it up and down and it went off but it was still hot for ages is this right?? and then it wouldnt go back on or off

Now its off and ive got it on half on 24 (the red bit is half in the window part)

why did it go up so much?

100 watt heater in 90 liter Aqua One A620 tank which I think is 90

my aqua one heaters the temp on them is on 24 but tank is upto 27

Advice plz

a jager will fix it :)

i learnt that lesson early on, had a few jebos and they are junk. inaccurate temps, tank ranged about 4 degrees under and over the desired temp and between 12 and 18 months they all failed. Bought jagers, possibly 5 years ago now and not had an issue since and the tank stays about 1 degree to what you set them at, never much over if any.

a jager will fix it :)

i learnt that lesson early on, had a few jebos and they are junk. inaccurate temps, tank ranged about 4 degrees under and over the desired temp and between 12 and 18 months they all failed. Bought jagers, possibly 5 years ago now and not had an issue since and the tank stays about 1 degree to what you set them at, never much over if any.

Jesus they are upto 100 bucks each !!!!!!

I did have one that lasted 15 yrs for my turtle I think that was a jager will have to replace them one by one or get rid of 2 tanks and keep one i think

Ive had no luck with the aqua one heaters, they dont fail on me but their range is terrible !!!!

be nice not to have to check the temp everyday haha

What would be the cost of replacing your fish like for like if you could source them? And if you look at the cost per year it's probably cheaper per year to buy a Jager every seven to ten years than a cheaper one every year or two it's just the amount up front. Taking away the costs side of it, they really are the best at maintaining the tank at the correct temp constantly.

What would be the cost of replacing your fish like for like if you could source them? And if you look at the cost per year it's probably cheaper per year to buy a Jager every seven to ten years than a cheaper one every year or two it's just the amount up front. Taking away the costs side of it, they really are the best at maintaining the tank at the correct temp constantly.

Yes correct fish aint cheap thanks ill look into replacing them when I can

Are the Jager the best ones?? I see they are made by Ehiem which some of my filters are and they have lasted for ever

I am thinking of getting rid of 2 tanks thou and keeping one

I had so much trouble with jebo heaters they would always stick on and cook the fish. Started off thinking I had a bad heater and took them back to the shop for new ones but they were all rubbish. If you hunt around on here and trademe you should get a second hand jager cheap. I have found aqua one to be good for the price.

We have Jagers in all our tanks at home, they are definitely well worth it!

The price has come down considerably through most retailers now and the 100w is around $70 so a fair price for a reliable product - with added protection in case it gets left out dry! Not that I'd be too keen on actually testing that :slfg:

We have Jagers in all our tanks at home, they are definitely well worth it!

The price has come down considerably through most retailers now and the 100w is around $70 so a fair price for a reliable product - with added protection in case it gets left out dry! Not that I'd be too keen on actually testing that :slfg:

Thanks will be replace when I can

It really doesn't matter what the dial reads if you have a themometer in the tank as well.

Adjust your heater thermostat up or down until your thermometer shows the temperature you want.

All heaters will heat until between .5 - .9 of a degree above the desired temperature and they generally don't come on until below the temperature they are set at either.

It really doesn't matter what the dial reads if you have a themometer in the tank as well.

Adjust your heater thermostat up or down until your thermometer shows the temperature you want.

All heaters will heat until between .5 - .9 of a degree above the desired temperature and they generally don't come on until below the temperature they are set at either.[/quote

Thanks but why did it go nearly to 29 its fine now. I thought the jebo was better than the aqua one

All heaters will heat until between .5 - .9 of a degree above the desired temperature and they generally don't come on until below the temperature they are set at either.

Called hysteresis. The difference between the on point and the off point basically. You can get setups that will have none, but it requires more complicated control circuitry, remote sensors, etc... IMO keeping temperature stable within plus or minus 1 degree is heaps. Fish in the wild would see that naturally just between different depths in a river/pond/lake. They're not that sensitive.

Thanks but why did it go nearly to 29 its fine now. I thought the jebo was better than the aqua one

that's proof the above statement isn't very accurate. the better quality of heater the more accurate they will be. i also found the jebos to over heat but have not seen that of the jagers.

that's proof the above statement isn't very accurate. the better quality of heater the more accurate they will be. i also found the jebos to over heat but have not seen that of the jagers.

It depends what you can afford if you have a few small tanks and can only afford a 20-30 dollar heater, well thats what you have

but if you can affrod Jager then you can pay 80 dollars for one..

At the moment I only have the cheap ones...

I just make sure I check each day.. BUT I agree with you the cheap ones aint very good at all

My Aqua one 200 watt heater i put it on 24 and it goes to 28 thats 4 degrees difference something aint right plus i noticed the led lights on them work sometimes and other times dont

It depends what you can afford if you have a few small tanks and can only afford a 20-30 dollar heater, well thats what you have

I just make sure I check each day.. BUT I agree with you the cheap ones aint very good at all

My Aqua one 200 watt heater i put it on 24 and it goes to 28 thats 4 degrees difference something aint right plus i noticed the led lights on them work sometimes and other times dont

Most heaters needs to be adjusted, just because you set it to 24 doesn't mean that it will heat to 24.. If it is staying relatively constant (allowing a little bit for hysteresis as above) then just adjust it until it is on the temp that you want.

I agree with you on only having $20 to buy a heater so that is what you buy, but it can be a false economy if it sticks on and cooks a tank full of fish that are worth far more than a $70 heater..

the problem with that is most times people post about a heater failing and losing their fish is in the morning. what happens is as the tank cools at night the heater has more work to do so is more likely to stick on and therefore cook the fish while you're sleeping.

the other feature of a jager is, as i understand it, if they fail by sticking on a fuse type wire burns out and they shut off so you can't cook your fish with a jager. it is far better for a heater to fail and shut off than fail and stick on, the fish can cope with a cooler tank better than a hot one and if you check your tank daily you'll pick up it's getting cool. when i feed my fish every morning i touch the glass to test for temp.

also if you are concerned about the accuracy of the dial of a jager it is calibratable but all my jagers have been keeping the tank at the temp i set on the dial so have been spot on out of the box.

I had a whole tank of discus cooked by a brand new 300w jager heater once. The heater was set at 28 deg and the thermometer was showing 37 deg . The heater was still on. Lost $$$$ and gutted.

Expensive heater do cook the fish too.

Ron

oooo noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just turned my up a bit more it was only on 23 temp i run all mine at 25 hope thats rlight for the angel fish too :fshi: :f77:

I had a whole tank of discus cooked by a brand new 300w jager heater once. The heater was set at 28 deg and the thermometer was showing 37 deg . The heater was still on. Lost $$$$ and gutted.

Ron

when was that?

Ron

That happened to me too except it was not discus and it was a Juwel heater. Water was 41 degree and miraculously my gold spot pleco was still alive!

Shop where I bought heater replaced heater with an Eheim and gave store credit for the value of the fish.

That happened to me too except it was not discus and it was a Juwel heater. Water was 41 degree and miraculously my gold spot pleco was still alive!

Shop where I bought heater replaced heater with an Eheim and gave store credit for the value of the fish.

You were lucky to have store credit for fish.

The shop only replace the faulty heater and don't want to compensate me for the loss of dead fish even though I brought the bag of dead fish to show them.