strange white fungus/slime?

nzfauna

I think I can see food on the ground so unless you've just fed them then it's definitely overfeeding. Try to siphon out as much as possible, maybe don't feed for a couple of days to starve it. I've gotten fungus before but not that - gross D:

I suppose it could be from left over food, but i have had fish for years and never seen anything like this. It even grows on bare glass!

As well as water changes, what can i add to the water to kill this growth. Salt? A regular dose didn't seen to work.

Cheers :-)

see if you can add some extra circulation/current that doesn't upset the guppies too much

Hi Sophia, thanks so much for suggesting this, because it prompted me to look at my flow rate. Without me realising it, part of the filter unit had become clogged. I've now cleaned it out thoroughly and it is certainly a stronger current now. I've also taken measures to prevent that part becoming clogged again (because it's hard to get at and clean!).

I'm now quite sure that the very low flow rate was the reason for this microflora 'explosion'.

I'm now quite sure that the very low flow rate was the reason for this microflora 'explosion'.

I'm not sure that's accurate. Many people have very stagnant tanks without anywhere near that amount of fungal growth. If the filter clogging was the only thing that changed I'm inclined to say that it just means beforehand it was breaking up and filtering out the fungus caused by a huge amount of rotting food. Just making it not so blatantly obvious.

There will always be microflora in a tank. They are just opportunistic and grow when more favourable conditions eventuate.

I don't generally overfeed, there is very little left on the bottom after say 30 minutes. And I do water changes regularly (once, twice, three times a week), and the tank was not 'neglected' - although I did stop cleaning the glass to see what it would do.

Perhaps, in this case, the severe decrease in flow rate led to conditions that allowed the slime or fungi (or whatever) proliferate. Perhaps decreased oxygenation, altered water chemistry, and current strength.

I'm not going to disrupt the whole tank and clean everything - it will recede on its own. I think that will be better for the fish.

• 3 weeks later...