Steve's Aquaone Nano 40 Marine Attempt

fantapants22

Nice, yeah make sure you send an email to Eric after you order to get an australian plug :) Its so good not having to run a light through an adaptor AND a timer :cry1:

Aw Yeap sweet as thanks for that, Yeah those adapters are all wonkey and a pain in the butt!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have about 15 digital timers running in my house and not one of them makes a noise or has failed, I have used analog in the past and they were annoying as heck with the ticking noise they made.

Cheers for that guys, Am going to order different LED unit for the marine next week but will buy one of those digital timers for my freshwater setup for sure where abouts are they from? any particular brand?

Cheers for that guys, Am going to order different LED unit for the marine next week but will buy one of those digital timers for my freshwater setup for sure where abouts are they from? any particular brand?

Supermarket, mitre10, the warehouse all sell them

I'd recommend HPM brand ones over Arlec or elto, elto are not too bad but they have a weird setup for the unit (its flat rather than vertical... hard to explain). Arlec are crap.

What light are you looking at getting?

Thanks for that will get a HPM :) I'll take your word hah

For the Marine will get that coral box M1-30 I was emailing eric at Fish-street unfortunately they arent back in stock for a few weeks so am going to get a free shipping discount on it when they arrive and sorted out that they will put the AU plug on it for me so no darn adapter will be required which is great, got my current marine light on trademe for 135- 140 buynow with 12 watchers so hopefully that sells, thats what I paid for them second hand so dont see why not :D

Looks like a newer aquanano - has 4 rear compartments with the first one being quite narrow?

it has 3 glass ones the first compartment where the weir going in has this plastic media carrier for the stock media cartridges which is a pain in the butt haha

actually edit that^ looking at my photos on the 1st page of my thread it does appear to have 4, hard to see now that its full

it has 3 glass ones the first compartment where the weir going in has this plastic media carrier for the stock media cartridges which is a pain in the butt haha

actually edit that^ looking at my photos on the 1st page of my thread it does appear to have 4, hard to see now that its full

Guts. Fitting a skimmer into the first compartment of those new ones is a no-go.

Could always try and mod it by cutting out that baffle

Guts. Fitting a skimmer into the first compartment of those new ones is a no-go.

Could always try and mod it by cutting out that baffle

ok Morcs after having a look properly there is only 3 compartments in the back, i managed to rip the stupid stock media cartridge holder out so now the first compartment is empty and measures 16.5cm wide is this enough for a skimmer? I wil be taking the foam/sponge out of the 2nd chamber once cycle finishes and replacing with an acrylic media holder, figured I will get the sponge to pickup the crap that is coming off the rock at the moment before I hiff it

IMG_2190_zps35afe49b.jpg

Coral Box M1-30 V2 is ordered and paid for cant wait till that shows up!! and the other lights I had have sold for $5 less than what i paid for them plus $10 success fee soi lost $15 bucks on rushing into light buying but oh well! in the end Eric at fish street refunded me $42 because of the free shipping he offered because of the unit not being shipped until the 13th or 16th but hey if I can save $42 by waiting a couple more weeks thats cool with me not like I need them yet anyhow haha

Now just need to buy a Wp10 wave maker and some acrylic to make this media holder up and some sort of skimmer down the line. Any other gadgets I could get? I bought a refractometer off ebay which arrived but turns out that I ordered the wrong type and this one measures battery acid strength or something I didnt research enough before buying one so that sucks, I just thought a refractomoeter was a refractometer :sml1:

I already have a good Instant Ocean brand hydrometer so dont really need a refractometer anyway.

Coral Box M1-30 V2 is ordered and paid for cant wait till that shows up!! and the other lights I had have sold for $5 less than what i paid for them plus $10 success fee soi lost $15 bucks on rushing into light buying but oh well! in the end Eric at fish street refunded me $42 because of the free shipping he offered because of the unit not being shipped until the 13th or 16th but hey if I can save $42 by waiting a couple more weeks thats cool with me not like I need them yet anyhow haha

Now just need to buy a Wp10 wave maker and some acrylic to make this media holder up and some sort of skimmer down the line. Any other gadgets I could get? I bought a refractometer off ebay which arrived but turns out that I ordered the wrong type and this one measures battery acid strength or something I didnt research enough before buying one so that sucks, I just thought a refractomoeter was a refractometer :sml1:

I already have a good Instant Ocean brand hydrometer so dont really need a refractometer anyway.

Nice. If your after gadgets you could look at an ato and a reactor but both not needed

Nice. If your after gadgets you could look at an ato and a reactor but both not needed

auto top off's are awsome. you never have to top up your tank and never risk your sump running dry. you can do it diy on the cheap and there really handy. and id say for the aquanano an ato would really help you out.

i have had a few nano tanks and your always topping up with R.O, usually daily.

and reactors are good to but you can run most of your media in your media rack.

both of these not needed as morcs said but both very nice gadgets

Only just saw the photo of your rear chambers. Now you've taken out the cartridge holder that's huge! Way bigger first compartment than mine whereas mine are all even ish. So yeah plenty of room, just check measurements of any skimmer but recommend the bubble magus . should fit easier than mine but still have to shave a few mm off the base

The autoaqua smart ato is a top looking piece of kit with the rare thing that it includes everything you need. Haven't bought one as unsure abut the power supply and whether I have the space

auto top off's are awsome. you never have to top up your tank and never risk your sump running dry. you can do it diy on the cheap and there really handy. and id say for the aquanano an ato would really help you out.

i have had a few nano tanks and your always topping up with R.O, usually daily.

and reactors are good to but you can run most of your media in your media rack.

both of these not needed as morcs said but both very nice gadgets

Had a look at the ato's but prob a bit bulky for where my tank is being in my own bedroom and all, plus since ive started the tank i have been monitoring the evaporation too see what its like, so far since its been filled its only dropped 12mm haha a couple cups of water and that will be back at normal level that I began with, my room is pretty warm so doesn't really get much condensation etc plus I definitely run the tank with the lid on it would be an idiot not to . . .

And yeah Morcs the back compartment is huge now it will seat a skimmer in there quiet lovely I reckon haha will definitely invest in that now that I have plenty of room for it.

http://nzmas.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14428

This is what me and my flatmate currently use. The only bulky in-tank aspect is the float switch, which is quite small. The rest can be hidden anyway wherever, and it is quite cheap to make.

Hmmmmmm might just have to have a play around with that! Thanks for the link! Have you got a thread of your nano or still cycling?

I haven't got a thread, got lazy taking photos and this one is just over 2 months into its cycle (cyano gone, just have green hair algae due to being impatient and not curing rocks. Some of the rocks are covered in green hair algae due to phosphate leeching).

hah you should! always good to see inspiration! ah yes the guy I got my live rock from had a real big hair algae problem from where his tank was sitting in sunlight.

Its been just over a week since my last water parameters test so will do another tonight. The rock is slowly getting these purple specs on it along with the color turning from white to a yellowish light brown.

Got a parcel today with my small mag-float. A lot better than those cheap as ones with the blue grips you can get.

Person that won my auction for my old marine lights changed their mind so that didnt sell in the end which is a pain in the ass so trying to sell again with not much luck :/