discus breeding?

Daz

Hi all. Need some help.

I have bought two new discus for my new discus tank, I have 3 other smaller discus in the tank. Tank is 230L.

the two new discus i got are an apparent pair and have spawnd before but the guy would take the eggs out as he didnt want fry.

how would I go about breeding them. Should I leave them in the big tank and see if they spawn or shoul I put them in a breeder with a cone or something for them to spawn on.

I have done a bit of research but any info on here would be much appreciated.

I have kept discus before but never bred any.

thanks

i let mine spawn 3 or 4 times in community tank and get the fry to free swimming.

then i set up a breeding tank and had 3 or 4 trys in there with no luck they kept dieing around a week after free swimming so i ended up getting some Kusuri wormer plus which is a wormer aswell as being used for gill flukes. and have had good luck since with rasing the babies. just remember keep up water changes and good food

i let mine spawn 3 or 4 times in community tank and get the fry to free swimming.

then i set up a breeding tank and had 3 or 4 trys in there with no luck they kept dieing around a week after free swimming so i ended up getting some Kusuri wormer plus which is a wormer aswell as being used for gill flukes. and have had good luck since with rasing the babies. just remember keep up water changes and good food

Yea I might do the same. And thanks for that. They get a variety of food. And every second day they get a water change. Probably do the same on a breeder. I have two tanks to choose from. A 3ft by 40h by 30w. And a 2ft by 30w by 35 high. Which would be a better tank to put the pair in?

Use the 2ft for breeding and the 3ft for a growing out tank. Once the babies reach free swimming and eating bbs you need to do at least once a day preferably two times water changes of at least 50%.

Ok cool thanks. Was hoping I could use the 2ft for breeding.

my breeding tank is just under 3ft. oh and somethink else i do is lower the water level right down just br the fry start free swimming and the back and 2sides are painted white as fry like dark colours with the lower water level i find they go to there parents alot faster to start feeding.