Do Bettas eat Ramshorn Snails

Colour_genes

I'm trying to pick out a new variety of fish to keep that a) I like, and b) I can partially feed on the huge numbers of snails I'm breeding, and c)preferably be able to breed as well. I've checked out the puffers and loaches, but don't think i have the tanks or space to work with those currently. I have seen several references to bettas eating "small crustaceans including snails", and just wondered if anyone here had tried feeding snails (alive or squished) to their bettas, and what happened. I know I could just squish the snails but it seems an awful waste of a potential resource. Thanks for any info.

• 1 month later...

Well, now that I have had some Bettas for a few weeks, the definitive answer to this question would appear to be -

Live - Huh, what is that. Ignore

Squished - Ohhh, yummy!!!! more, more, more please. Yum, gobble!!

It's quite entertaining watching them deal with the crushed shell pieces, one shakes the snail to get rid of the shell, others spit the snail out several times while crushing the shell apart in their mouths. Biggest one just wolfs it down 'as-is'. But I do usually wash the largest pieces of shell off before it goes in the tank.

They all look really healthy and happy on up to 4 small snails a day.