Blu-ray vs DVD

Sophia

So here I am again, pondering the wonders of modern technology. Recently I bought a tablet, and now I even have a few silly games to keep me entertained. Yep, technology is good and one day I might even buy a smartphone....

Now I'm thinking about changing to Blu-Ray from DVD and I wondered what people think of it. Is it just another tech gimmick? The video stores aren't getting rid of all their DVDs and moving to Blu-Ray, their Blu-Ray selections are still quite small.

So the situation at my house is - we don't have a big screen: we have a 24 inch LED TV. We rent movies from the video store, we don't buy them to keep. We do send the sound through the stereo speakers rather than use the speakers on the TV, but that's about as high tech as our TV and movie watching gets.

Those of you that rent Blu-Rays from the video store - do they still skip? I thought that perhaps since they have less customers, that the discs are less scratched. We rent movies that skip sometimes multiple times, I thought that perhaps a change in quality or technology might make a difference?

Any thoughts?

thanks

Bluray is only any good if you are really fussy like me and like watching movies in high definition, sounds like you may need to clean your dvd players laser and also when you hire a movie get them to re coat the disc, this is what I do as I got sick of going back and forth to the video store years ago.

Bluray is excellent on bigger tvs, anything smaller than 32" and I don't think you would notice much difference to be honest.

Even better, get a Playstation 3. Then you can watch DVD's, Blu-Ray's and also play games. And if you connect it to your internet router with a cable or the built in wireless, you can watch TV on demand with it too. :thup:

... or you could do that :gpo2:

If you going to spend money please get a blue ray player, dvd players are on the way out, i own a video shop and im putting more n more into blue ray, i have over 1000 bd, and about 17-18000 dvd, alot movies i cant get on bd so why get rid of the dvd,

when it comes buy new movies i but a min of 30% bd, and upto 50% + (hobbit will be 52% BD)

Any shop that dosent keep there stock clean wont last very long, i have 2 machines and spend over 1k a month of polish for them (tbh i think thats bad coz it means all my stuff is getting scratched)

as for the physical difference between a dvd n bd 50% thinner disc and 8-10x better image and sound after a month of watching bd you wont want to watch a dvd ever again

just remember to plug your bd player into ya internet (wifi or cable) and keep the firmware up to date

Hope that helps

Hi, have had BR for a few years. Significantly better picture and sound, more so on larger LED, though LCD does well enough. Other benefit is less of the regional rubbish you get with DVD, my brs from all over the world seem fine, no hack codes needed.

I'd say go crazy, get the BR, and a TV upgrade, and as a gift to yourself for your fine sense, get fishy things :happy1:

Cheers