What to put in my tank???

megs27

Hi there, I have a 300lt tropical tank with:

2 x Discus

2 x Bristlenose

4 x very very old rams

6 or so mollies

I want to stock it again as at the mo it's looking pretty empty.

What would be a good addition to the tank with what is already there?

Would love to stock more discus but either rather pricey or outta town :dunno:

Your suggestions would be welcome :bow:

Thanks Megs

Thanks for the idea I ended up buying two discus from Auckland so will go take kids to the zoo then pick up the fish was thinking of minows as a fuller and redesigning the tank with more driftwood and plants to give it new life.

My oldest discus was 8 years old when it died, I can't seem to go past a pretty discus for display fish!

Has anyone heard of minows being trouble in a tank or are they pretty good?

Thanks

If your tank is at 27 degrees you can use cardinals, neons, harlequins as good fillers in a discus tank. Discus prefer 28-30 and while you can keep the same fish I listed at these temps the heat does mean that they mature faster and die sooner as their whole metabolism speeds up.

IMO minnows won't survive with discus - they really are 18 - 22 degrees fish and can do even cooler water.

Thanks for that yeah thought my tank is to hot for them never mind might go neons or just leave it for now and wait till the new discus get here and settle in and decide later don't want to over crowd my tank might put more plants in it instead to get a new look love some of the planted tanks that people have posted up here before :cophot: