Black Orchid Betta

ss_boy86

• 5 months later...

Melano are not so much infertile but you will not get a surviving fry from a melano female. There is something in the melano gene that causes the outer shell of the eggs to dissolve before they hatch.

I have bred black lace before and I do not recall difficulty with my spawn hatching.

• 3 weeks later...
It is more likely that the genetics are complicated and out of all the offspring you could expect only a few looking like the parents.

Well from my basic knowledge of Betta's genetics there is 4 layers of skin cells each making up the coloration. I think there's something like 20,000 genes controlling the various layers so getting parents with all the correct alleles would be damn near impossible. With two "perfect" parents you would get 100% offspring the same as their parents, but with all the variables I would expect its around 30%. So I'd say alan's answer is the best. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :sml1:

Black orchid/black lace are pretty easy to breed for even if you've crossed one to a non black fish. The dark body is dominant, irids are difficult to get rid of so they will almost always be present (and technically a fault for black bettas, but it gives them that nice black orchid look).

The main difficulties you'll get from crossing a black lace to non black lace will be the amount of spread iridescence ( spread irids will fully cover the black layer with irids, making a blue or copper coloured fish) and also red wash will be present among the fins instead of black. Many red loss fish can gain red back when they become older which really sucks.... Also a lot of black lace carry marble which can quickly turn a promising black fish into an ugly cello.

A lot of my f1 from black lace x non black gave a few blacks in the mix, f2 would def yield higher amounts of black orchid. If you can only find one black fish I recommend using a dark bodied blue red loss fish to pair it up with and hope for he best.

Also there have been a few black orchid ct popping back up again in petstores so it may look like they're making a comeback :thup: They'll probably have the unnecessarily high price tags attached to them though

• 2 months later...

currently breeding a line of Black Orchid Crowntails, the females are not fully black yet still showing alot of the steel blue but they are darker then most ive seen so far... not many fry at this stage and just in waiting stage while the females grow haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so... this line is not as "easy" as i would have liked it to be... lol alot of the females have ventral loss ( due to feeding) and well we had a spawn of 11 now we have 2 boys and 6 females left.. also appears to be throwing marble... so i may secure the genes in an outcross before i look at putting these on market.. have jsut secured a black orchid female from someone elses line. so should be all good to go soon.

Are u on facebook? If so search siamese fighter new zealand... we are all breeders n we just chat on there to compare and help with critiquing and we r trying to maybe have a show based on international standards. :f77: we possibly have met..... hahahaha

yeah im on there, jus haven't been breeding for a while(lost my MG HM + spawns, and a couple dumbos + spawns when we had a quake a couply years back) so been more of a troller lately lol.

the lack of decent fighters in welly area hasn't gotten me back into it till now lol.

• 1 month later...

everyone learns this mistake once.......

lol

Animates told me to get a plastic feeder for my birdcage from the $2 shop ..

like seriously why would I want to feed my much loved parrot from anything form a $2 shop. The first dish got destroyed because he's a PARROT and chews!

Ended up getting the product from my trusted seed seller.

heres my pair if i can get them to breed, the only thing about imports is you have to get their confidence up first and then when they see the female they still are pretty sooky

10952455_10202806394835811_5829986777787862393_n.jpg

1978305_10202837919183900_6843631667237748491_o.jpg

All you have to do is to send the pair to me and i'll get them breeding lol

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

The male was the problem lack of hormones so he has been flare trained over the past few weeks and now he flares when I walk in the room. No way that lil girls a boy. As I've had eggs. Although they were released to the bottom of the tank. I will try and breed them again this weekend. Now I have the barracks ip and running thjng can start moving more....

And ronnie.... I bought him from you I'm not sending him back...