Totara's First Tank Diary

Totara

Hi guys,

It seems a few people make a diary as they setup their tank, so I thought I will too. Partly because I want someone to yell at me when I screw it up :bggrn:

The tank is 54 litres (61 cm long, 36 cm front to back, and 31 cm tall).

Entry #1 17/02/14

P1050639_zps871c3509.jpg

Tank arrived on my birthday :) Because I built my own stand I want to check it works before I add expensive stuff like fish. So I am going to let it sit here until Saturday when I can get to my LFS and buy the gravel etc. I believe I will need 10 KG of gravel, can anyone confirm this? I would like to plant the aquarium, so it will need to be reasonably thick. The light is 20 W I believe, which plants (if any) are suitable to this wattage?

Thanks Guys,

Totara / Will

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Good job but you will need to put rather more bracing on the stand. The tank alone when full with water will weigh around 54kg so you will need bracing around all four sides of the stand and also uprights at all four corners.

There needs to be no chance of the wooden 'shelf' being able to bow. It is also a good idea to place a piece of polystyrene between the tank and shelf to cushion any small uneven spots in the shelf.

The tank is a Juwell Koral 60?

Hi there,

Thanks, yes the tank is a Juwell Korall 60. Also I havent put any polystyrene as the manual specifically said NOT too. It has special bracing in it to spread the load. Also the tank is already filled :o I will empty it out as best as possible tonight and add some bracing to it.

Thanks,

Totara / Will

Ok thanks. I am going to buy a sheet of MDF today and some more 50 by 50 today, the mdf so I can cover up the edges of the frame etc.

For the interior of the tank, I think I will make it look something like this:

I like the look of it, maybe with a piece of driftwood in the middle. Also it is pretty good at hiding the filter and heater. Can anyone recognize / suggest the plants in there, and where to get them? And if I cant get them in NZ, alternates? The rocks I am not too sure about, if I was to get some rocks for this from a river (The rocks that make up the plant platforms, not the substrate) and boil them for a few minutes, will they be ok to use? Or should I buy them from my LFS

Thanks,

Totara

Nice Youtube link :) You can get rocks from the river, no need to boil, just a good scrub down with tap water would do. I suspect your local fish shop will not have that type of rock but a landscape suppliers will have. Be careful not to get anything with limestone or the like that will raise your tank pH. The only plant I can pick from there is the moss, you can get java moss and christmas moss here in NZ. Someone has christmas moss for sale in the PT&E on here, it would look good. Anubias nana might give you a similar look.

SamH, Li@m and Diabolus have a few threads on their landscaped tanks in this forum which you might like to look at. A few of Diabolus tanks were created while he was in Germany last year and the plants are not available here in NZ.

poly between stand and tank glass frame - the frame should sink in to it if theres any uneven points.

Moss is fine for low light. If you go up to the fnzas home at the top left of this page and click, then click on 'plants' you will come up with various plant profile lists which might help you choose what suits best.

Entry #2 19/02/14

Added the extra support last night, wont be posting a pic as there's nothing really to see. I will show a pic when I wrap it in MDF. Thanks to Adrienne for telling me I need to add the support. This Sunday I am heading to my LFS to buy 10 KG of gravel, polysterene and the rest of the equipment I need (Gravel Vac etc.), the Landscapers for some rocks to go into it and Mitre 10 for some MDF :). After that I can do the exciting part of getting the plants !!

Will

Talking about LFS's, can anyone tell me the best Fish Store in nelson? I know of two, PetMart and PetFever. I havent been to either, anyone been to them?

Petmart in Tahuna is not worth going to, unless you want the owner looking down on you. Petmart in Richmond is great, and they have some lovelly knowledgable staff working there.

There is a vet in Mot that I have heard is pretty good by several people. I have not been there however.

Petfever offer a club discount, which is handy if you shop at LFS

This Sunday I am heading to my LFS to buy 10 KG of gravel, polysterene and the rest of the equipment I need (Gravel Vac etc.), the Landscapers for some rocks to go into it and Mitre 10 for some MDF :)

May I suggest reading a guide on aquascaping before starting your aquarium layout? Posting photos of the tank 'dry' with rocks in place in this thread will get you some helpful feedback. Hardscape is, after all, the most important decision you'll make when starting a planted tank.

May I suggest reading a guide on aquascaping before starting your aquarium layout? Posting photos of the tank 'dry' with rocks in place in this thread will get you some helpful feedback. Hardscape is, after all, the most important decision you'll make when starting a planted tank.

Thanks for that, can you reccomend any good guides? I have read a couple but they weren't very in-depth...

Thanks,

Will

Entry #3 22/02/14

I went to my LFS today and bought most of my stuff. He was going to charge me $50 for gravel, so I went to the landscapers by the tip in Nelson. They had an entire shed dedicated to Aquascaping materials. I bought 20 KG of Otara Gold gravel for $30 so if anyone in Nelson wants to buy some, I am happy to sell. I have sort of done things out of order, I have filled and started cycling today and will be doing my hardscape tomorrow and adding plants. :P Dont worry im sure I can handle it. Will post a pic tomorrow after the hardscape, and again after the plantscape (Is plantscape even a thing? lol) I will do a before and after pic too :) Next week I will be going to get a Bristlenose. Seems like a good fish as any to start with, then I will get 6 neon tetras 1 week after.

Thanks,

Totara

Bristlenose are poop machines. If anything is going to shoot the ammonia levels up too high they will surely do it. Best added to a cycled tank.

Thanks for that, what would you reccomend instead? I would like to get Honey Dwarf Gouramis, but I dont know how hardy they are....

The landscaper by Bunnings is a bit cheaper than the one in Tahuna

The Tahuna one is only $1.30 a kilo for this really nice rock I want to get. I will probably get that and check out the one by Bunnings if I get a second tank.

Also, my tank is in my garage. The garage is reasonably well insulated, and dosnt fluctuate too much overnight, but are there any precautions I should tank? E.g during the day maybe getting too hot?

Thanks,

Totara

Will post a pic tomorrow after the hardscape, and again after the plantscape (Is plantscape even a thing? lol)

Don't rush the planting! Waiting for feedback and making sure your hardscape is perfect will ensure you end up with a tank you're happy with. We call 'plantscape' either planting or plant layout.

Also, my tank is in my garage. The garage is reasonably well insulated, and dosnt fluctuate too much overnight, but are there any precautions I should tank? E.g during the day maybe getting too hot?

Monitor the temperature of your aquarium throughout the day, if it's getting too hot then adding frozen bottles of water or a fan blowing across the surface can help reduce the temperature.

Don't rush the planting! Waiting for feedback and making sure your hardscape is perfect will ensure you end up with a tank you're happy with. We call 'plantscape' either planting or plant layout.

Monitor the temperature of your aquarium throughout the day, if it's getting too hot then adding frozen bottles of water or a fan blowing across the surface can help reduce the temperature.

Ok thanks for that, I will do all of the things you said. Also, is anyone able to tell me how often to clean my filter? All that is in it is a simple sponge, but the way they have built the filter has made it really inaccessible. Would a weekly quick wash under a cold tap be ok?

Thanks,

Will

Ok thanks for that, I will do all of the things you said. Also, is anyone able to tell me how often to clean my filter? All that is in it is a simple sponge, but the way they have built the filter has made it really inaccessible. Would a weekly quick wash under a cold tap be ok?

Thanks,

Will

When the flow drops, and just squeeze the sponge a few times in tank water. You dont want to displace all the bacteria that live in there.

In the long run I would be tempted to replace with a filter that has sponge and room for proper bio-media

When the flow drops, and just squeeze the sponge a few times in tank water. You dont want to displace all the bacteria that live in there.

In the long run I would be tempted to replace with a filter that has sponge and room for proper bio-media

Thanks about that. Also can anyone tell me if Blue Opaline Gourami are suitable for my tank?

Thanks,

Will

When you do your weekly water change just squeeze it out a few times in the old tank water bucket. Blue Opaline Gourami grow a little too large for your tank (15cm). Although they are more sensitive, may I suggest a neon blue dwarf gourami instead?

Entry #4 23/02/14

Done the hardscape :)

photo2_zpseaec5d4a.jpg

The plan is to have 3 tall Java Fern like plants, 1 in the middle of the left mound, one just behind the two middle rocks (its hard to see in this pic, but there is a perfect spot between the rocks) and 1 in the middle of the right mound. Then some Christmas Moss (Or similar) on the right rock of the middle 2. My light is 15 watt, are the plants going to be ok?

Thanks,

Will