Silver Angelfish breeding.

SamH

My silver angelfish have spawned 4-5 times in the past but leaving them with the eggs has always resulted in them eating the eggs. This time I was fortunate that they laid eggs on a well placed magnetic algae scraper. I have since moved the eggs into their own 20L aquarium, added Wunder Tonic (1.5% meth blue) and put a gently bubbling air stone beneath the eggs to keep them well oxygenated. I'll be starting a brine shrimp hatch shortly and will stagger it with another hatch in 24hrs.

Is there anything else I can do to give these eggs the best chance possible?

Thanks!

Wunder tonic has a lot more than meth blue in it but good luck.

I did read the bottle before use, with Methylene blue as the main active ingredient I thought it would be okay.

Just over 48hrs since they were laid and so far I've removed half a dozen infertile eggs, all the other eggs looking very healthy and mould free. Just done an 80% water change, added a sponge filter and a few more drops of Wunder Tonic.

IMG_3367b_zpse8665281.jpg

IMG_3375b_zps7f2bce8a.jpg

IMG_3372b_zps5a53477a.jpg

They look pretty good. They will stay on there and wiggle then fall off and wiggle then one morning they will swarm. That is when they have absorbed the yolk sac and are looking for food. You feed brine shrimp nuplii then.

I have hatched angels in just water, with meth blue, with malachite green,with acriflavine and combinations of all three but not with quinine. You have done the lot and it seems to have worked--well done.

Yeah I picked up on that, siphoned out all the brine shrimp and froze heaps from the early hatches. Keeping up the 80% daily water changes to maintain a high water quality. Came home from work around 5pm today and they were all free swimming in a group, now a few have "clumped" together in groups of 8-16, is this a defence mechanism?

They're back to normal this morning so I tried feeding them again, this time they were observed actively chasing and eating brine shrimp. Planning on feeding them 4 times a day for the first month or so.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do a slower, more gentle water change to avoid scaring the fry?

It's been almost two weeks since the eggs were laid, only lost about half a dozen fry so far, the rest are about the size of 3 day old guppy fry (5mm). Been feeding BBS 4 times a day and keeping up the 80% water changes, the question is where to from here?

What are some other good foods I should introduce to them? I'm clearly going to need a bigger tank, what would be the ideal size tank to raise them from this size until they're ready for sale?

Cheers guys 8)