injured/sick/dieing fish

noonoo

Hi

I am really concerned about my adult pearl gourami. I know I need to do something real fast or else she/he wont make it, but im really stuck on how to help her

her fins are frayed back down to her body :( and the joint (or where the fin comes from) is very red and looks irritated.

she lays on the bottom of the tank looking very sad, she is eating and can swim to the top of the tank.

She is housed in a 50l tank with 2 angel fish. They appear to leave her alone and don't annoy her in anyway

I gave the tank some stress coat to help her fins

I have tried to look to see if her scales are raised but it is hard to tell

thank you so much for your help

You need to separate it from the angel fish. If the frayed area has increased I would expect that a bacterial infection has set in.

If its bacterial salt will help but probably not cure it and you will need to make sure the water quality is top rate.

Would moving her into a breeding box be ok, those plastic crates that float in the water

or would this be far to stressful for her

the salt is just plain aquarium salt, will hopefully buy some today and do small water changes frequently

one problem is that I'm oh holiday for 1 week then back for a day then away again for another week so I wont be around look after her, hopefully she will do fine

There are quite a number of ChCh fishkeepers on this forum, someone might be willing to 'babysit' your fish if they have a spare tank that is set up.

How long till you go away? Do you have a photo of the fish that is clear enough for us to see the damage and the red area. If so you can use something like photobucket to post it on here or you could email it to me ajdodge@xtra.co.nz and I can post it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from my weeks holiday and she has made a huge improvement!

will leave her there until she has fully recovered

once she is healthy again I'm really stuck what to do with her.

I can't put her back with the angel fish and she cant go in with my barbs as they nip her feelers

Both the angels and the gourami will need larger tanks eventually. Pearl Gourami get to 14cm in length and angels get to 14cm top to bottom. In the meantime you might be better to see if you can find the pearl gourami a new home or surrender her/him back to your local fish shop. If the angels are a pair and you want to breed them they will need their own tank, if they are a pair and breed in a community tank no other fish is likely to be unscathed. It pays to remember angels are cichlids.

I would love a new tank!! :bggrn: but unfortunately I'm living at home with my parents still and I dont really think they want an extra tank, we also have no space for on

I could never give her away, she is my pet and one of my favourite fish, the only one with a name ha ha.

How long untill the pearl gourami gets fully grown, I have had mine for 2 years now and she's roughly 10cm and hasn't seemed to grown any more

I'm not sure what sex my 2 angels are as they were juveniles when I got them, the angels are the only ones in there tank plus a young brittle nose

, i moved the gourami up with them as her feelers were being nipped by the barbs and she wasn't to happy about that

what size can two angels be housed in, before I added fish I researched and it said it was fine to have 2 angels in a 50l tank

sorry for all the questions, i just want to do the right thing

Hi there - I personally wouldn't recommend angels in anything under 200L-300L - it'd have to be reasonably tall too. Bristlenoses also can get to about 20cm so may even be a bit big (I have one in my 70L and wouldn't put it in anything under that) - I'd say find the space and upgrade ;) Haha us here with 5+ tanks have all managed to find space one way or another - but we're also addicts :P

These are our angels - they're probably over 20cm in height, and live with the gourami in a 450L tank - but even then the gourami occasionally get chased! They look big even in our 450L :)

1800356_10202321405469764_772198830_n.jpg

The gourami are probably 15cm long, fully grown. I'd also say over 180L for those - I have two thicklipped (smaller) gouramis in my 120L and they use up as much room as possible swimming and making territories - and they're only about 6-7cm! Maybe a couple of honey gourami would suit your tank better? (Pearls are gorgeous and I understand why you're attached to it!)