road tax on petrol for my lawn mower ?

aotealotl

went to get 20 liter of petrol for my lawn mower the other day. payed $42. how much of the $42 is for road tax ? (must be $11 if not more right ?) how can I claim it back ? what are boat owner do ? (or is it like: if you're rich enough to afford a boat you wont care about the tax ?) John Key said we must save money, I am trying hard... :wink:

last time i saw figures i thoughts it's about $1:60 per litre for the petrol and the rest is tax. that's why the have the road users separate for diesel as most off road machines are diesel powered. ride on mowers can be pricey to run, mines gets through a bit.

Imma let you guys in on a little secret, it's called http://www.google.com !! :P

I typed in "how much of the cost of petrol is tax" then set it for New Zealand websites and found this in under a minute;

costs-that-make-up-a-litre-of-petrol-01.jpg

Source; http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/maintenance/fu ... alculated/

So tax makes up 43% of the cost of your petrol, and that includes paying 15% GST on the fuel tax.

As for not paying tax on the petrol you use in your mower, ain't nothing you can do about it short of finding an alternative fuel source. About 8% of my commute to work/town is on our shared ROW/private driveway that we have to maintain, so I'm giving away even more than you!!

:nilly: :nilly: :nilly:

• 3 weeks later...
I have a friend that used to make his own bio fuel from it and the "calf fatteners" have pushed the price that high he has given up. They own the irrigation water and the fishy chippy oil as well now.

We fatten calves on milk, meal and when they are weaned grass. I've never heard of using cooking oil. Can't imagine it's all that good for the calves. I certainly wouldn't think dairy heifer replacements would be "fattened" on it. Don't know what goes on in cantabury though :dunno: