Culturing Daphnia without a starter culture

blondfish

I have wondered that but I don't know the answer. I found them in troughs where the only water source was tap water.

These articles are very good but only refer to them being cultured from an original starter.

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~davidr/discus/ ... phnia.html

http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/#what3

Thanks!

About to read them now :spop:

put a bin outside with some water and put some straw, hay or grass in it, be patience and wait. I have no idea how they suddenly are in there but you will get Daphnia. you could probably speed the whole process if you get some water from a pond or swamp. here in Naseby the outlet from the water treatment plant is full of Daphnia.

put a bin outside with some water and put some straw, hay or grass in it, be patience and wait. I have no idea how they suddenly are in there but you will get Daphnia. you could probably speed the whole process if you get some water from a pond or swamp. here in Naseby the outlet from the water treatment plant is full of Daphnia.

Thank you so much! Going to try that now :thup: :dnc1:

I have never used a starter. I put a container outside and fill it with water. Eventually stuff falls in it and daphnia appear. I don't always bother seeding it with green water, or grass. It is said dried blood is good too. The success of this method depends on where you live I suspect.

Sorry to be a pain, but do you know how long this will take? :)

Sorry to be a pain, but do you know how long this will take? :)

are there none in yet ? did you do it right ? is the hay not too long ? :dnc1:

just kidding, I can't say how long it will take as I actually forgot about that little project of mine and some day I saw the bin was full of green water and daphnia beside all sorts of other creatures, even Whistlin Tree Frog tadpoles. months maybe. if you need your daphnia now you better get some started daphnia from a pond or buy a culture on TradeMe.

are there none in yet ? did you do it right ? is the hay not too long ? :dnc1:

just kidding, I can't say how long it will take as I actually forgot about that little project of mine and some day I saw the bin was full of green water and daphnia beside all sorts of other creatures, even Whistlin Tree Frog tadpoles. months maybe. if you need your daphnia now you better get some started daphnia from a pond or buy a culture on TradeMe.

Thanks.

It might take months or years or even getting nothing at all. :yawnn:

Why do it the hard way when ready culture is available :facepalm:

But I don't know anyone with a culture :oops:

There is the option of buying on trademe, but TBH I don't want to risk them dying.

But I don't know anyone with a culture :oops:

there must be someone on this forum from Tauranga (or near) who can help you out with a bottle or jar with some daphnia which you could pick up. put a want to buy ad in the WTB section maybe.

There is the option of buying on trademe, but TBH I don't want to risk them dying.

they can be shipped. I've done it before and they arrive save. just start a water canister or bin NOW with some leafs or grass in it so it turns 'green' and is ready when you get yours (or put a couple of cooked rice corns or 2 pieces of cooked pasta and some lettuce in a jar with some water to have food ready when they arrive)

• 6 years later...