Debating a bearded dragon. Enclosure/friendliness/costs

samuel90

Im like the idea of having a bearded dragon as a pet... but I kind of want him in a bigger enclosure than I see in pet stores.

I have a few questions before I run out and try to find my dragon!

If I were to build an enclosure outside (Is it even possible to do it outside or are NZ conditions too harsh for them??), what are the things I need to consider as far as basking rocks, substrate, flora etc compatible to make him feel most at home, and is easy to maintain and clean his business!

Also what kind of costs are incurred on a monthly basis? Food and anything else?

All of this of course is relying on the answer to this.... How friendly are they? Can I pick him up and pet him? Will he recognise me and want to be petted? I want a friend in my dragon.... not just another mouth to feed and be ignored by!

And where I could purchase a baby one, as he would have to be all mine and mine alone :)

I have coastal dragons which I have running free inside an unheated glasshouse with water dragons and reeves turtles year round. I handled them from a young age and regularly hand feed so now they come meet me at feed time. Coastals are easy to handle but the waterdragons are very quick and less keen to be handled, but the female waterdragon is quite happy to climb my leg (not so good in shorts) looking for food.

I do not keep inland dragons but I do not think they are suitable for out side.