How to run two heaters

samuel90

So I have a 185L tank, and a 150 watt heater running at 26 and the water right next to it stays about 24.

I also have a 200 watt heater, and was thinking about putting it at the other end of the tank.

Should I put that also at 26 or will that make it to hot? DO they run at 26 or is there a thermo inside them telling them to shut off when water is 26?

They are both Aqua One.

Thanks!

putting it at the other end will work fine, it is what I do. The heaters have a thermostat in them that turns off at the temperature you set them at (although they are not always accurate, and when it says 26 on the thermometer they may be heating to 24 or could be taking the water up to 26 etc).

putting it at the other end will work fine, it is what I do. The heaters have a thermostat in them that turns off at the temperature you set them at (although they are not always accurate, and when it says 26 on the thermometer they may be heating to 24 or could be taking the water up to 26 etc).

Thanks!

So you are 100% sure I won;t cook my fishes?

Do you have any other sort of thermometer in the tank to verify the tank temperature? Its not essential but if you are worried I recommend you get a thermometer. The most reliable is the glass thermometer that is stuck inside the tank - its about $7 from memory.

Do you have any other sort of thermometer in the tank to verify the tank temperature? Its not essential but if you are worried I recommend you get a thermometer. The most reliable is the glass thermometer that is stuck inside the tank - its about $7 from memory.

Yeah I use a stick on thermometer. It works ok I guess?

I have had a lot of experience with Aqua One heaters, I currently have 3 of them (all 150W) in 3 small tanks. I do not trust them in my larger tanks, as they were causing fluctuating temps.

2 of the 3 no longer work correctly. One is heating at 24 although it is set to 28, and the other is set to 24 but is heating at 32.

I had two of the Aqua One 150W heaters in my 300L tank. I then got a 150W Jager heater, and decided to test it out in the tank, so I swapped it out for the left heater. I noticed over the next week that the temperature became stable, so I tried removing the other 150W Aqua One heater.

That tank has remained stable since. One Jager 150W heater was more reliable than two Aqua One 150W heaters.

I have just bought a 300W Jager for my 500L. I wont ever buy Aqua One heaters again.

there's no need to run two heaters on a tank that size, one good quality heater of the right size or larger will do the job.

i recommend getting a 150 or 200w jager (150 will be enough , 200 will be heaps) and it will keep the tank at what ever you want with very little fluctuations as long as you have enough flow. I have a 300w jager on my 400L tank and it seems to keep it at a constant temp.