WANTED Bee Swarm" Auckland area

Jaxxnz

Hello every1, i just got my fingers stuck into another new hobby last week.. :slfg:

end up joining the bee keeping club, going to try to get some real tasty honey !drool:

anyway end up meeting alot of nice and helpful people at the club, and did end up with a friendly gift UP THE NOSE" from our friend "the dam bee" :an!gry

anyway still puffing with a red nose now..but i would like some infos if you guy in Auckland ever spot a BEE SWARM!

Please contact me ASAP so i could help you and help my self :bggrn:

My understanding was that beekeepers destroy swarms and wild hives because of the veroa mite.

No

Bees are collected and Quarantined by bee keepers till they are known to be clear of veroa. The wild populations are actually less likely to have veroa and they don't want to kill a population because the number of hives is lower already because of the mite.

and again, No

EVERY hive in the north island will have varroa, and almost every hive in the south. There might be the odd wild hive in the most out-of-the-way-places that have missed out on the joys of varroa, but I doubt it.

With the introduction of varroa it is now very unlikely that any wild hive will survive into its second year :(

you can catch a swarm by using an old tray with wax still on it from another bee keeper if you can get a hold of one. just place it in a box with a 100 x 100mm hole cut in one side, place it on a farm some where (orchards are good as some farmers like to have bee hives around), and with any luck you will catch your swarm.

Once you have got a swarm, move the tray to there new hive, job done.

This is how I started when I gave this hobby a go back 13 years ago, worked for both hives I set up.

you can catch a swarm by using an old tray with wax still on it from another bee keeper if you can get a hold of one. just place it in a box with a 100 x 100mm hole cut in one side, place it on a farm some where (orchards are good as some farmers like to have bee hives around), and with any luck you will catch your swarm.

Once you have got a swarm, move the tray to there new hive, job done.

This is how I started when I gave this hobby a go back 13 years ago, worked for both hives I set up.

Are I sure?? U know my name is jack right!

So high jacking wouldn't be a problem :bggrn:

I still going to need a new top box for collecting my honey so I might give this a play to see if ur method work :rolfl:

Would the bees still come in without a queen?

Or this is to collecting a new colony of bees including new queen?

I think what he meant was that what he suggested would attract a roaming swarm, Or more specifically the queen who will be followed by the swarm.
well it is actually the bees that make the decision where to set up the new home not the queen, although the bees will return to their hive if for some reason the queen doesn't make it to the new home.

It is probably too late in the season for many swarms now.

You could buy a 'nuc' hive to start with, they go for about $150, a full hive will go for $250-300.

I, just last week, had 40 hives stolen - you do the maths on how much this just cost 'me'...

You could buy a 'nuc' hive to start with, they go for about $150, a full hive will go for $250-300.

I, just last week, had 40 hives stolen - you do the maths on how much this just cost 'me'...

i already brought a new nuc, just in the process waiting for the bees to cover all bottom trays..

the bees you lost got high jack? if so wouldnt be me iam from auckland :lar:

some1 steal all your hive boxes? (jackpot!!) some1 is in the trade and know the season well..

might be a good idea if you mark the hives next time and if you spot the person selling it on trade me then smack them..

also NZ has a good bee forum..really friendly people in the bees room..make your announcement description of your boxes iam sure they keep an eyes out for what fishy..

getting back to the swarm, i just remember when i was at the beekeeping meeting they did show the method of how to spilt out your hives(full hive) similar method by adding new boxes couple meter apart with existing bee and tray..

Vinnie: I think your method of collecting new swarm with a new new boxes might be a slim chance...but it worth a try when you cant find your free swarm..( Thxs)

"Little gold fish bowl could get you into deep water"