Show us your leos!!

reuben.a

My Male, he is very deep in color but is hetro for black and white genes

16191d3b-6df4-458f-bf18-58264519c0bd_zpsbfa55eff.jpg

Awesome photo! A little off topic but that photo inspired me, can Leos be kept in a rain forest/jungle themed tanks with moss and ferns or do they require dry conditions?

If it has a mack snow gene it will be a mack snow (which will look like a hi yellow later) if it has 2 mack snow genes (homozygous) it will be a super mack snow and mature to a white with spots as pinstripes.

That would mean some juvies being sold as hi yellows will not be that when adults would it not?

Yes. My understanding is that mack snows are not always straight black and white when young and certain characteristics can indicate the gene such as extended white down the front shoulders or very light yellow colouring, and I think pinstriping of the dots also. All of my adult mack snows were black and white as hatchlings and now look like hi yellows. I have some babies this year from "hi yellow" parents that are showing some of the above characteristics. I think there are a lot more mack snows out there than we realise but the problem as always is knowing which ones truely are unless they were black and white as hatchlings and good records are kept. I photograph mine as they hatch and give them a number so I can tell which one I have when they all revert to looking like hi yellows. If both parents are mack snows then the offspring must be and the others that only may be because they have only some characteristics I treat as hi yellows.I have two hi yellow females that have thrown mack snows in the past. One also had twins so there may be some genes out there worth keeping. Time will tell.

Its quite common to get a wildtype or high yellow from mack snow parents. Its almost all chance with morphs aye. Dragonz is right that mack snow is defined by its white bands as hatchlings but this will slightly fade more yellow as they get older.

Good news is that if you do have mack snow breeders is that you have a 25% chance of getting a super snow from them :D

Terribly sorry, I stand corrected:

There are different results when breeding Mack Snows. Listed below are different possible combinations.

Mack Snow x Mack Snow

25% Super Snow

50% Mack Snow

25% Wild Type

Mack Snow x Normal

50% Mack Snow

50% Wild Type

Super Snow x Normal

100% Mack Snow

Super Snow x Mack Snow

50% Super Snow

50% Mack Snow

Super Snow x Super Snow

100% Super Snow

If all else fails read the instructions.