WTB Hand raised Sun Conure - UPDATE with photo :)

BikBok

This isn't aquarium related so it's not in the WTB section.

My daughter has had her heart set on a Sun Conure for a couple of years now. We've had a Cockatiel for the last 5 so are not new to birds and their care.

She has faithfully been saving but we thought we would like to surprise her for Christmas/ Near Christmas and help her achieve her dream sooner.

I was wondering if anybody has the name / contacts of a good breeder in Auckland (south even better) that might have some ready by Christmas.

Not even sure if its the right season but no harm in asking!

I think most start breeding about now. If she wants a pet it's best to get a hand reared one.

Does she know how noisy they are?

hehe .. yes we've heard them in action at the bird barn, there are nosier parrots tho.

Definitely want a hand raised one, our tiels have been hand raised and they are so much nicer than parent raised.

I'm waiting to hear back from a breeder who had some advertised earlier in the year on TM but he hasn't responded to my enquiry yet.

Sophia

they don't have any currently but they are usually a Lot more than a private breeder and we would like to see the parents disposition etc.

darn it, the TM breeder has sold out his conure line, they looked like real characters too.

We have been trying to get a hand reared quaker parrot for a couple of years now but no luck so far. Hopefully this season will be a good one (unlike the past two) :thup:

the breeder we were hoping to source a conure from , is still selling Quakers but he's in Auckland.

if a sun conure takes a dislike to someone in the family there will be blood spilt

as long as he/she likes my daughter, that's all that matters, we will see if she can interact with it first before we buy.

The funny thing is, all 3 cockatiels we've had including the current one were hers but they liked my husband and will always go to his shoulder.

We had to re home one of the cockatiels as she was picking on a quieter one and was getting quite nasty about it. She went to someone in Tauranga as a partner for her male.. they have bred together so all worked out.

Hoping the conure will be "Hers" so it's important my daughter can view and see how the parrot responds to her.

Just because I am good looking does not mean I am nice. There are a couple of pet shops down this way that sell hand reared birds if you get desperate.

i realise that, we don't just buy pets on a whim which is why I want to meet the breeder and the parents and prefer not buy a random form a petshop with unknown disposition..

My daughter , always the diligent student has done hours of research on different parrots species and after having met a friends one has settled on the conure as her bird of choice.

She absolutely loves birds and I've lost count of the number of times we've visited bird barn in Henderson and the wingspan (Birds of prey) in Rotorua. Birds feature in a lot of her art. When she was younger we also went through an ostrich phase where we had to go to the ostrich farm every time we drove past.

Living in Wattle Downs has been great with resident ducks, pukekos and embden geese always on hand to enjoy.

But for a personal pet, it will be sun conure!

She is now 17 and this bird love started when she was still a young tot so I think shes waited long enough.

heres some of her bird art including a conure . The watercolours she did when she was 14, the conure she did this year.

artstitchbird2012.jpg

WCFalcon.jpg

WCrainbowLorisMrPipsJul2011.jpg

artMrP1CassowaryJul2011.jpg

our sunny

DSC08290.jpg

jaimeeNCEAArt20121.jpg

jaimeeNCEAArt20124-Copy.jpg

sunconureapril2013.jpg

Animates in Slyvia Park had one a couple weeks ago when I was there don't know if it was hand tamed though

4 months old. bit pricey though.

had a visit with the Sylvia park one today. Seemed to be handraised as was very sociable. Bit pricy though , will keep looking but keep that one in mind as I satill prefer a breeder with known parentage

I recommend buying from a breeder so you can see the bird interact with other birds and see the parents.

I'm going to sell my 1 year old white ring neck because it can't be in the same cage as my 7 year old blue ring neck.

I got the blue at 12 weeks and it's friendly to the white one, but the white one just wants to bite it. It's a negative trait I don't think I can train out of it.

Sun Conures seem like a fun bird, Conures are insanely loud and when you take that loudness from bird barn to a quieter place they are louder.

Here's a good page of advice for raising a bird, they wrote it for ringnecks but the advice should translate well

oh adorable !

Yeah, the birds are cute too :gigl: :thup:

Our red bellied conure liked to eat whatever Grant was eating so he had Weetbix and fruit for breakfast, fruit for morning and afternoon tea, sandwiches and biscuit for lunch and meat and veg for tea. He also got extra fruit and veg. Like our budgie, he was particularly fond of chicken!

well we are going to see a 1 year old bird on the weekend. Not a chick but he does sound adorable.

The breeders that I've managed to contact have either had no chicks this season or they are already spoken for.

If this 1 year old clicks with my daughter he may be the right bird.. fingers crossed. DNA tested too so we knows he's a boy.

Hi all

Meet "Ferris", my daughters New Sun Conure .

That's just his travel cage, he has a lovely big playpen to hang out on during the day when we're home.

ferrisday1.jpg

He's a real character and we love him already. Of course there's some adjustment time because he's not a baby and had a previous owner but he's still young at only 1 year old.