Does Melafix really work?

nzfauna

Hi guys and gals. I have just started treating my tank with Melafix after one of my lemon yellow male guppy's tails started looking a bit ragged.

I'm not sure if it is from 'fin rot' (I'm not convinced), or from the tank being overgrown with oxygen weed and other plants (now pruned), or something else.

Anyway, the Melafix is in, hope it works. It seems like such a low dosage (5ml per 40L). Is there any actual proof that it does what it claims to?

Hi guys and gals. I have just started treating my tank with Melafix after one of my lemon yellow male guppy's tails started looking a bit ragged.

I'm not sure if it is from 'fin rot' (I'm not convinced), or from the tank being overgrown with oxygen weed and other plants (now pruned), or something else.

Anyway, the Melafix is in, hope it works. It seems like such a low dosage (5ml per 40L). Is there any actual proof that it does what it claims to?

My experience and from what I've seen it depends on your definition of "Work" It helps, but it's not a cure on its own. Like salt treatments, it helps a little, but it's not a miracle cure.

It really depends why the tail is ragged - is it because another guppy has nibbled it or is it because its caught it on something. If so good clean water will help it heal.

Same with fin rot - unless its bacterial - good clean water will help it heal. Melafix will assist but it won't be the sole reason it's healing. If your tank water is not in good condition melafix is not going to do anything to improve it.

Furan is a carcinogen, use it carefully if you have to.

OMG. On the evening of the third day of treatment, the poor little male guppy took a nose dive. He was sitting at the bottom, breathing heavily. I've seen enough fish dying to know that this was the end for him.

I read somewhere that Melafix can make it harder for fish to breath, so I did a 25% water change (no dechlorinator) just before bed, turned off the lights and hoped for the best.

This morning, he seemed relatively normal - I'm pleased, but still worried and will watch him closely. Will do another water change tonight.

The tail hasn't degraded any further. I am hoping that the problem was just the overgrown weed issue, and that his tail was rubbing against it too much, or that he was being nibbled.

My water is pretty clean - about 25% water change every week, and I have one of those UV sterilisers that gets used every few days, and after a water change.

I will be very, very hesitant to use Melafix again. Certainly not in this way (whole tank treatment). The instructions say 5ml a day for 7 days, then a 25% water change, then continue if necessary.