What Beach in Auckland Area to find good drift wood?

Aquaboy1

I've searched many places around Auckland but have never been lucky to find some nice wood..

And when you do find some it is usually pine which will not be good for your tank (will rot quickly)

If you are ever in Wanganui go to the beach at the north side of the pier. Best place I have ever seen for driftwood

Kariotahi is fairly bereft of driftwood, as the tides keep moving thewood up or down the coast.

If you are in the area, then a better bet is either of the gaps up the peninsula.

Cochranes gap is probably the best, but access is over private land, so permission will have to be obtained.

Hamiltons gap is larger, with road access, but not that profitable from memory I have not been there in a few years.

Another option is the river mouth after a storm, as much can be washed downriver.

Do Not under any circumstances go for a swim there especially from the north side as in 16 years living in the area I have only heard of 1 successful swim! :fshi:

• 8 years later...