Gold panchax

Silverdollarboy2

Golden panchax are one of the easier killies to breed. I used to keep them in a bare tank with a floating mop, check for eggs daily and remove into a smaller hatching tank and feed on brineshrimp nuplii when free swimming. Your gardneri may be a bit aggressive for the golds and they will breed best if on their own.

alanmin4304 said:
Golden panchax are one of the easier killies to breed. I used to keep them in a bare tank with a floating mop, check for eggs daily and remove into a smaller hatching tank and feed on brineshrimp nuplii when free swimming. Your gardneri may be a bit aggressive for the golds and they will breed best if on their own.

Could you please tell me how to make a floating mop?

You Need;

one book, video, or something of similar size.

acrylic wool in a dark colour (easier to see the eggs)

scissors

Wrap the wool round and round the book (longwise or lengthwise depending on the depth of the tank) 30 or 40 times (the pics show the wool wrapped only 20 times).

DSC09564.jpg

Tie one end

DSC09565.jpg

Cut other end

DSC09566.jpg

Tease out the wool strands by unravelling the separate plys to make them fluffier and bushy.

DSC09570.jpg

I tie a small block of polystyrene to the thread I used to tie the top end with and this keeps the mop floating in the water. You can vary the depth at which it floats by altering the length of the wool.

Note this is a different mop and the knot on the end was done slightly differently by sliding the wool off the book first then tying a knot a couple of centimeters from one end - the wool did not change colour! :gigl:

DSC09571.jpg

When you first put the mop in the water you will need to squeeze it a bit and swish it around to waterlog the wool and make it sink properly, otherwise the strands will want to stay on the surface.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...