Pics of my 2000L tank

David R

Thought I'd make a separate thread for these pics, seems how the discussion on the tank has rambled on for 17 pages...

I added a couple of big pieces to the pile on the left of the tank today and rearranged it. The intention is to have it looking like a natural 'snag' you'd find in a river, and to provide plenty of cover for the catfish.

FTS:

IMG_9240Large_zps8349022c.jpg

The star of the tank, Osteoglossum ferrari ~ 14-15"

IMG_9522Large_zps5c86a04e.jpg

IMG_9515Large_zps08fb7cb8.jpg

IMG_9289Large_zpsf6b7bc57.jpg

Some of the six Geophagus altifrons

IMG_9336Large_zpsc0e1ba67.jpg

IMG_9322Large_zps7cd01a88.jpg

IMG_9325Large_zpsacaacc31.jpg

IMG_9345Large_zpsa8f099ce.jpg

L190 Panaque nigrolineatus

IMG_9339Large_zpsf9d8e343.jpg

IMG_9349Large_zpsdf295241.jpg

Another L190, quite a different "look" with much finer and more regular stripes

IMG_9363Large_zps824414fe.jpg

Three of the four L190 lined up under the stump

IMG_9459Large_zps4fbd9269.jpg

L81 Baryancistrus Sp.

IMG_9478Large_zpsa9dda7b9.jpg

L14 Scobinancistrus aureatus, taken earlier in the day on my cellphone (the three of them are the most shy of all the plecs in the tank).

attachment.php?attachmentid=946103&d=1378426939

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with how it has turned out, there's still a couple of things I'd like to do but they'll have to wait as my sister is getting married in the US in March. I'm thinking of adding a small group of Uaru, and I'd love to add a group of something mid-swimming, schooling, South American and large enough to not get chomped. The only thing I can think of is pink tailed Chalceus, which seem to be hard to find at the moment.

Nothing wrong with Clown Loaches.. I quite like them. But for me it would completely spoil everything that is good about your tank David.

It's like if you bought a Ferrari and then put some BMW seat covers in it.. The BMW seatcovers are very nice but they have no business inside a Ferrari!

I think you have done well to capture the habitat of the fish you have in there now.

It's a slippery slope and once you get on it you'll just end up with a tank like Henwards (no offence Henward, yours is just a different sort of style)

You're not wrong, my racist attitude towards fish has caused much indecision with this tank. I love the more authentic look of having only Amazonian species, even though it isn't a true reflection of any one location, but on the other hand a school of flows would certainly liven up the tank. I love my plecs, but there are a lot of fish in there eating food and making mess but never being seen....

Not watching the mfk thread, so don't know what has been suggested, but I say don't spoil the theme of your tank by getting non-south americans.

I would suggest getting an amazonian cat as clean up crew, something like Hoplo cat fish, don't look as good as the loaches, but they still do the job and keep with the theme.

That thought has crossed my mind too, the more I keep big tanks the more I realise I like seeing fish with space to move and behave naturally. The thought of seeing a school of 30 cories patrolling the substrate while a couple of hundred lemon tetras cruise around above is nearly enough to make me thing of selling the aro. Nearly.....

That thought has crossed my mind too, the more I keep big tanks the more I realise I like seeing fish with space to move and behave naturally. The thought of seeing a school of 30 cories patrolling the substrate while a couple of hundred lemon tetras cruise around above is nearly enough to make me thing of selling the aro. Nearly.....
You know you want too..... :wink: