Any Reptile Vets or Leopard Gecko people in Wellington?

Lucid

Heya,

We're looking for someone who might be able to come and take a look at our Leopard Gecko.

Shes got toes that need someones opinion on what to do with them as shes obviously not had her feet tended to while shedding at some stage.

We have soaked them and some skin came off with a gentle wipe with a cotton bud but it looks like shes lost toes once before and some tips are black and some are swollen.

We were told by previous owner that they thought she might have been brumating and thats why she wasnt eating. They had her about 10months l think and they say she is 1 1/2years old and has had babies before. They said they got her from a breeder in Paraparam l think.

We only got her yesterday.

Any ideas?

The vet can't get the toes back. It is a common problem with toes and tail when shedding. Make sure thay have a moist hide (I use sphagnum moss). soak the feet and remove any remaining skin and check the tail while at it. The vet can treat an infection if the amputated bits become infected. The skin restricts the blood flow and causes gangrene. Most vets will be one page ahead of you in the same book but they can prescribe when required.

I will try the Vet here in Tawa as suggested - Thank you. :-)

Yes you are totally right Alan. I have read the same thing.

Some of the skin is still on her toes and no matter how much l soak them its not coming off. Its the was-ment-to-be-shed skin thats strangling her toes still. They are the ones that look like they are swollen or tips are black.

It looks like they are only holding on by maybe the bone? Cant quite tell. I think her toes must be hurting as shes not wanting to walk around much. Poor thing.

Bit hard to get photos as l am only using my phone and l cant get closeup pix.

Ive tried to explain the situation to the pervious owner but she thinks just leaving it that she will be ok, l beg to differ! She said if it wont heal to basically put her down - again not something l see cant be fixed!

Hey Mystic,

What did the vet suggest? If toes are that bad :o then a vets opinion would be the best option. Have a feeling vege oil or something like that can help aid in the loosening of the un-shed skin BUT don't just try any old oil and would suggest VET first as I am only recalling something I have read online.

Regarding appetite - first thing to check is temps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can leave crickets in there to. nocturnal insect good for nocturnal animal :bggrn:

best to have easy access to a water dish or bit of carrot available to crickets too so they don't get the munchies. as you should with locusts too otherwise they are just dehydrating /starving. cant beat cricket imo. I find best not to have food available all the time though as they get bored of it, what ever you use. :wink: