Alpine Newts near Waihi...

ajbroome

but give me native frogs any day.

but thats the thing...we cant have native frogs :(

i personally think it would be great if we had more wild amphibians in NZ. i don't hate MPI but i think they make some stupid decisions at times. almost selfish decisions. our reptiles and amphibians are very limited in NZ and that needs to change. i don't at all support illegal smuggling etc but i do hope that some day we have more of a variety of reptiles and amphibians. i do understand some of these introduced species have a negative effect on our native animals but there are other species that can not survive our climate and eat only small insects etc etc. just my view on it. i don't mean to start an argument :gigl:

can only ass ume alpine europe :slfg:

I didn't bring them :wink: 30 years ago you could find them all over Switzerland, where there was some water there they were, not sure if they still are that wide spread nowadays, I doubt it. kept many of them in my youth, very clever escape artists.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Amphibians are capable of living in the same environment as our native frogs and competing for food or eating them, because they have have existed so long in isolation they will not have the ability to cope with a change in thier habitat.

that's what they do, they eat frog spawn, but our native frogs should be save as they do not just lay their eggs and bugger off, they look after their offspring and the introduced ones, too many everywhere anyway :wink: the bigger problem nowadays with importing amphibians is chytrid-fungus which can kill whole populations in a short time if the amphibians are already 'stressed' and 'weakened' because of other enviromental influences such as raising temperatures or lack of rain as examples.