Starting Dry Rock

newaqua

Starting Dry Rock.

Hello everyone. I have a new tank setup that I have been working on for quite some time. And I am now ready to begin my rock.

I have about 15 kg of rock for my 140L setup (includes the sump).

I have heard different ways of starting the rock.

One being flush the rock first. By placing in a bucket and changing the water every day. Then, after a couple of weeks, leave the water in, and check the ammonia level and nitrite levels, if there is none, then its ready to be placed in the tank.

Another I have heard, is curing it in the tank straight away, without sand, as this way, the waste will come from the rock and litter the bottom of the tank. After a while, once the levels settle down, you can then begin to add fish.

So what way is best? Does anyone else have another way of doing it? The rock I have has been out for years, and will need a good clean anyway. Like I said, this is a new tank setup, I am not adding rock to an existing setup.

Ideas??

I put mine in a 200ltr plastic drum. Chucked lots of power heads in,heated it and left it for 3 months, changed half the water every month. After the first month I chucked in a raw shrimp every week to feed the growing bacteria. Then put in my tank, waited a week and was ready for fish.

This way I didn't have to look at an empty tank while it was cycling.

I started the other way, but as si_sphinx said, if you don't mind watching an empty tank, it works, or if you know your going to get annoyed looking at an empty tank after 3 month (I did as I started with a 850L and a lot of rock), you may end up getting tempted to push your luck by putting your first fish or coral in a little early.

I did have fun watching everything slowly grow, but the waiting game did get the better of me :lar: