Australian/Eastern water dragon care sheet

reuben.a

So i will likely be getting a water dragon in a few weeks. it is a hatchling around 1-2 months and really small, do you guys think flies and moths (which i feed my geckos) would be a fine staple for a month or less, until i can get a stable breeding pattern with the locusts i have at the moment?

you can catch wild grasshoppers this time of year,you just have to be willing to run around like a mad man swooping a large net.look for any long grass around just make sure it hasn't been sprayed with roundup or any other nastys.

one more question, when you bring the dragon home do you just fully leave it be for a few days and not feed it? thats what i have read in other forums

if its insects it dont matter,because the dragons will hunt when ready! and if your enclsure is insect escape proof its hatchling waterdragon escape proof?. EXCEPT adult crickets! cause if the crickets manage to hide in your enclosure in amongst all the plants and driftwood? they have been known to come out at night when hungry and chew on hatchling waterdragon tails n toes e.c.t. but then adult crickets dont go with hatchling wds any way so its all good! :wink:

• 6 years later...

Hey all, new soon to be eastern water dragon keeper here, I'm building a 2 meter long plywood paludarium for an eastern water dragon and a Reeves turtle, and I wanted to make it bioactive, which means it needs plants. I'm planning on using portulocaria afra, air bromeliads, maybe some small succulents, and maybe tradescantia. That's the plan anyway. Dunno about underwater plants, but java moss and probably fern are on the lost for sure.  Those are all just plants I'm planning to use, just checking to see that they are dragon safe. I know they are all bearded dragon safe, which is a good sign since bearded and eastern dragons live in similar areas of Australia and have similar dietary requirements, despite apparently hating each other.

Anyways, any help or advice or just a list of plants you know are safe for eastern water dragons would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers.

Coë 

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone.  My son went and stayed with his father for a few months and returned home the proud owner of an Australian Water Dragon.  Now he is loosing interest and I am not even sure knows really how to care for it (he assures me he does!) I am concerned for the little guy. He is still a juvenile and he shares his terrarium with a couple of gold fish which are in his swimming pond. Recently he has stopped eating (my son only feeds him meal worms). I see from your posts there should be a variety of foods.  We are constantly catching other bugs and trying to add some puha (dandelion) and banana, lettuce etc....but he did not want any of it. Now he also hardly moves either. The enclosure sits at around 28-30 degrees. There are UVA and UVB lights, and a flat rock for him to bask under which ever is the light that kicks out the heat.  The substrate is potting mix with some live plants and the mealworms are in a dish in the enclosure with calcium powder.  We have the lizard food with vitamins etc, but he does not eat that at all. There are logs and such for him to climb on which he used to do a lot, but now not at all.  Can anyone offer any advice for us to care for him? I have grown quite attached and would really love to know what I can do for him.