Eheim 2213 humming

DennisP

I've had my cannister filter for about 6 months now and it has constantly been humming.

I've decided to try and silence it now, because as far as I'm aware, it is supposed to be silent.

I guess there is always going to be a slight sound of the impeller spinning but I'm fairly certain there is more than just that happening.

I've searched online and played around with my filter. What I have found and done is as follows:

- People suggested lubricating the impeller and shaft

- People have suggested replacing the impeller due to small chips which have been throwing off the balance of the impeller

- I have both lubricated and replaced the impeller. Both have helped a little with the noise, but it is still too loud.

- I found pressing down on the powerhead helped quieten the sound. I was missing 1 of the clips, so I have now replaced all of them.

- I have completely taken the filter apart (without braking or unscrewing anything)

The problem lies with the empty cover over the powerhead.

The sound of the spinning impeller is amplified by the hollow space surrounding it.

My immediate thought was to fill it up with something. How ever I don't want it to overheat and explode or something.

On closer inspection there is a compartment which, when the lid is attached, will be sealed from the top and have an opening of about 15mm x 10mm. This leads me to believe it has some sort of purpose. Maybe to be filled? Or maybe to be left empty?

Can anyway shed some insight on what my be the problem or potential solutions?

I have different filters to you and have similar problems. One is an expensive Marina hang on back and the top cover continually jiggers so I've removed it. Sticking it down with blue tac didn't silence it. It also vibrated against the glass where it hung over which has largely been shut up by putting a flannel between the glass and the filter. I also have an internal Eheim that makes too much noise but again I think it's a rattle in the outer casing somewhere. I don't hold much hope of these moving parts becoming silent. In short, unless someone knows exactly what is wrong, you've probably done everything you can do.+ :fshi:

I have a 2215 that i've had for 10+ years and it is now making the same noise as yours. When I also press down on the powerhead the noise is reduced. Combine that with the amount of bubbles being returned to the tank and i attribute that to lack of a seal letting in air and resulting in cavitation.

I haven't bothered doing anything about it as it's on a grow out tank and i'm too lazy. But if I was to do something i'd probably change the o-ring as a starter. Perhaps an option to consider? Strange on a fairly new filter though. Can you claim on a warranty or fair trading act breach?

I've already vaselined the O-ring.

There is no air coming through the filter so it wouldn't be a leak.

I'm curious as to what this cavity in the lid is for and why it is making a noise.

Here is a picture of the cavity that I forgot I had taken.

I'm talking about the dark hole.

You can see on the left side, there is a small opening. This is interesting because the whole thing is supposed to be air tight (mostly) so there shouldn't be any air movement.

IMG_20130716_161104_zps5600e0bf.jpg

I've already vaselined the O-ring.

There is no air coming through the filter so it wouldn't be a leak.

I'm curious as to what this cavity in the lid is for and why it is making a noise.

Here is a picture of the cavity that I forgot I had taken.

I'm talking about the dark hole.

You can see on the left side, there is a small opening. This is interesting because the whole thing is supposed to be air tight (mostly) so there shouldn't be any air movement.

IMG_20130716_161104_zps5600e0bf.jpg

I don't think the top there is meant to be airtight. It's basically just a cosmetic cover that could be eliminated if you adjusted the intake pipe a bit.

As for that empty area on the top I suspect the powerhead mold is shared with the 2313 which has a heater in that area.

$(KGrHqV,!p0FEHBYQGmLBREVEizrzQ~~48_20.JPG

You're probably right that it shares its mold with the 2313.

That explains the cavity.

Last night/this morning when I was laying in bed and everything was silent, I could hear the humming quite clearly. It sounded almost as if the impeller wasn't quite central.

Possibly due to an imperfect impeller. I don't think the shaft would be an issue as that is reasonably new as well.

humming = something vibrating when it shouldn't

the one I had was rescued out of a shed and was given to my boss when they were first imported, it had run for a few years then had been "stored". still silent even though the impeller shaft is almost worn out.

check that the impeller seating thingies (the rubber end caps for the impeller) are in correctly, also remove the o-ring and put it back in carefully, if it rolls slightly it can cause the top to vibrate slightly

try fitting a screwdriver inside the impeller assembly while its together and see if the impeller shaft has any freeplay.

put a bit of stress on the impeller cover and see if there is any small cracks in it, these are not visible until you very carefully bend it.

filling the hollow spaces is akin to using algae fix to cure algae problems.... treating the symptoms not the cause

• 1 year later...
I have different filters to you and have similar problems. One is an expensive Marina hang on back and the top cover continually jiggers so I've removed it. Sticking it down with blue tac didn't silence it. It also vibrated against the glass where it hung over which has largely been shut up by putting a flannel between the glass and the filter. I also have an internal Eheim that makes too much noise but again I think it's a rattle in the outer casing somewhere. I don't hold much hope of these moving parts becoming silent. In short, unless someone knows exactly what is wrong, you've probably done everything you can do.+ :fshi:

Since it's been dragged up, my internal eheim filter had the impeller hitting the internal plastic base every time it rotated, because the shaft was too low. The rubber end cap on the bottom of the shaft wasn't raising the impeller shaft high enough. I put a 5mm slice of silicon tube on the bottom of the shaft to raise it up slightly and it then became silent.