Surprise! Baby ottos

waterlogged

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I finally have photos. took all morning and the quality is really bad but you can make out what's what ...... hopefully.

This is where it all happened. You can't tell in this photo but there are lots of week old fry swimming around.

Photo0193.jpg

Mum and Dad hanging out together are they do. Mum is the left one.

Photo0203.jpg

This is the fry about a week after they started to swim.

Photo0196.jpg

And this is them yesterday. about 6 or 7 in this one.

Photo0201.jpg

Have found 3 dead ones since they were eggs but apart from that think there is still between 20-30 in there

Don't suppose you can tell us what the water parameters/lighting, etc, are? I'd love to have a go breeding Ottos :bounce:

Honestly it's just luck for me.

The pH is around 6-7, only have litmus paper type testers, tewp. stays around 24-25, um the fluval lighting went a while back so at the moment it is a Phillips daylight bulb in a desk lamp. just use Prime when I do a bucket water change and have only been feeding them algae tablets.

Had this same luck with my panda cories a few years back. Just started finding babies in my big community tank.

Do miss those little guys

Just did a water change to find 24 eggs on the top glass. got rid of them cuz the wee tank can't support any more fish

You know they're tiny, right? And you'll have time to buy a good sized tank before they get big?

I know, :tears: I felt so bad doing it but I am not in a financial potion to buy another tank any time soon :cry1: . Have a larger hexi one back in Hamilton but will be ages before I get back up there. Once I have sold of this lot then I will let another lot hatch. It's cruel but fair on the others.

I know, :tears: I felt so bad doing it but I am not in a financial potion to buy another tank any time soon :cry1: . Have a larger hexi one back in Hamilton but will be ages before I get back up there. Once I have sold of this lot then I will let another lot hatch. It's cruel but fair on the others.

Could have sold them, pickup only.

my house is way to cold and the tank only has a small gap up top.

:facepalm: You'll all be happy to know at least 10 little wrigglers have been found. :nilly:

I have a rule about only destroying eggs not fish so looks like they are going to stay. I don't know how well eggs and young fry do with being moved. Besides it is hard enough to catch the adult fish let alone tiny versions in the Fluval.

:smln:

So.... I have a tank full of Ottos right?

But yet there is a lot of green algae stating to grow on the glass and rocks lol

Any ideas why their not eating it? have not feed them the algae wafer for a day if I can't see a difference in them eating it I'll through one in every 2 days and see how that goes