my planted tank upgrade log

disgustipated

current planted tank is 100l, flourite substrate, few plants, smallish light, co2, angels kuhlis and gobys.

lN5XKQn.jpg

spare tank is 220l, i have several three foot light fittings, the one in this pic takes two bulbs. will buy bulbs as soon as i can find them (bunnings and mitre ten did not have 3ft tubes) had my blue tongue in there for a couple months while i set up his big enclosure, so it needs a good clean (when i get out of bed). i had trapped the cat in there to teach him not to climb into tanks. he won't learn....

eeir9tF.jpg

i want to lay the flourite from the original tank down first then cover with sand from the local garden shop. i would love to use more flourite but i just can't afford another couple of bags. so sand it is, will get some fertilizer balls, going by what most of you say, they work fine. any alternate suggestions for substrate?

will update with pics as this progresses. feel free to comment. or not, i don't care :fshi:

What are the dimensions of this tank?

If I were you, I'd keep the fluorite for a tank where you can use just fluorite, mixing it up is a real pain. Instead see if something like mineralised top soil would be viable for you. Cheap but it takes a fair bit of time. Just make sure you cap it properly too. Might wanna check SOG for tubes, they usually stock a decent range.

What are your goals with this tank?

What are the dimensions of this tank?

If I were you, I'd keep the fluorite for a tank where you can use just fluorite, mixing it up is a real pain. Instead see if something like mineralised top soil would be viable for you. Cheap but it takes a fair bit of time. Just make sure you cap it properly too. Might wanna check SOG for tubes, they usually stock a decent range.

What are your goals with this tank?

dimensions are 90x38x38cm. i think i have decided not to use the flourite, as taking it out of existing tank and putting in new tank while it cycles leaves the issue of where to put the fish while it's cycling.

think i'll just start over with sand and fert balls. i like the idea of the top soil but don't think i will do it.

goals with this tank is for it to be easy set up and maintained etc as it is more a project for my daughter and i to do together. i want more space for lots more plants, and a few more fish, small fish only as i'd like to keep the bio load down so water changes can be infrequent.

sam - i have space for two 3 foot bulbs. what bulbs would you suggest i get? both the same or two different ones? i have no idea about lighting and don't wanna buy the wrong bulbs?

I've had some of my best results using sand and fert balls:

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq17 ... G_5186.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq17 ... G_5187.jpg

It sounds like a heavily planted tank with little hardscape is what you're after. Are you able to draw a picture or find an example online of the sort of thing you're after?

In terms of lighting, I'd be looking at one pink and one white if I were you but two white would be fine also.

• 4 weeks later...
As long as you don't stock it with fish that like to dig you should be sweet, also planting your plants before you add water will help to keep the water from initially going really cloudy.

yeah no eels :(

i've got a couple of weeks before i need to even think about putting fish or plants in there. i can't be assed washing the sand thoroughly. will rinse it out a bit before it goes in. i don't have a filter for it yet anyway, either gotta get one of my old pos working or get a new one. so yeah. it can sit for a while.

i can train apples better than i can train cats.

so i put the sand on top of the mud, and it was messy. messy messy. the sand is mostly on top but mud coming through in many areas. it looks kinda cool, but didn't come out how i had intended it to. it never does 8)

simultaneous in/out water change system currently running.

i think i put too much mud in there to start with. could just add more sand but substrate is already like 5cm high. we'll see for now. i wanna wait and see how it settles.

i plan on planting it very heavily, with easy growing plants. i want as much plant growth in there as possible. i have some grunty lights for it. objective of this tank is to be able to ignore it for long periods of time. plant some plants that spread and leave it to do its thing. i like the whole ecosystem balance thing, walstead method etc.

this may be a success, it may be a train wreck, but, it will be recorded here nonetheless.

I put fine gravel on top of peat and it stayed under mostly. Sand should also be ok but eventually it will sink below the bigger particles.

you might need to turn off the filtration over night and just let it settle and you can gently siphon the layer of fine silt off later.

I've had great success with sand on daltons. I started with a scaped daltons bed and 2-3cm of sand covering the whole lot. Once it settled I planted the whole lot (well, as much as I could at the time) and then just let it be. Every now and then I'd move a plant and just brush some sand over the mud that came out. I did have algae but I was able to combat that with lighting and co2.