Freshwater Jellyfish

Smuggz

heres My notes on the jellies : tank size 20 litres

water boiled (cooled )

food I use micro worms ( baby brine shrimp would be better but expensive..

I don't have a spare heater but research says 15c degrees is a perfect temp

they do not sting . I've touched them !

they do not grow larger than a new zealand one dollar coin

any internal filter can suck the jellyfish up and kill them, so can a gravel cleaner ( even hard pressed on floor ) or window

water changes : I started with one every day. but haven't done a water change in two days and the jellies are fine.

I found they hunt food . fully displaying tentacles I'm sure they have taste sensors in tentacles. similar use as a snake tongue . they also will sit and spread their bodies almost flat to catch falling micro worms.

but they get very lethargic . I put this down to not having a heater. as 8 degrees is a bit low... but as the temp rises so do they. and as opportunistic hunters they don't need to swim about if food is on the bottom of tank .

They are an interesting hydrozoan to get a hold of due to their feeding habits.. other than that they can be rather boring to watch. but I recommend A little heat of 15 c degrees . And light. a lot of light.... but of course not direct.. they remind me of sea monkeys sometimes.... But I haven't had them for a week yet so it will be interesting as I progress with these.

:bounce:

massey - with saltwater jellys, they are usually kept in round tanks, with no corners, because apparently the jellyfish can get stuck in the corners of the tank and can't swim backwards to get out.

have you seen any of your jellys get stuck in corners or anything?

Being an expert in uninformed guesses...I'd guess that freshwater jellies would be a bit tougher and better adapted to deal with bumping into things than marine ones. Just given that they're in a much more restricted environment with more obstacles. :bggrn:

Being an expert in uninformed guesses...I'd guess that freshwater jellies would be a bit tougher and better adapted to deal with bumping into things than marine ones. Just given that they're in a much more restricted environment with more obstacles. :bggrn:

Wow. You are an expert, that makes total sense!

I always thought the reason saltwater jellies are kept in round tanks is because they need the centrifugal force to keep them moving because if they don't they will die?

yeah could be that too... i said "apparently" because its just what i've heard about why they are in round tanks. the water always moves around in circles taking the jellys with it so they are always moving about.