Where can I find a 24V transformer? + CNC Pictures.

si_sphinx

I am making a cnc machine and I am at the stage of making the driver and electronics. I have soldered up the CPB and need a transformer for it.

Specs required:

input - 240V, 60Hz

output - 24V @ 10A

7846.jpg

I have looked around online but haven't found anything. I prefer to buy from NZ as I don't want to have to wait for it.

Anyone know where I can find one?

There are several businesses in New Zealand that do transformer winding/rewinding. You should give some of them a call. May not be that expensive to get one made if you can't find one 'off the shelf'

A quick google search for 'Transformer rewinders' should get you started.

Thanks for the replies

Tried Element 14 and RS Components? They're the 2 main suppliers of electronic parts within NZ.

Yea tried element. Couldn't find anything on their site. I will check RS components.

I have a few numbers I am going to ring tomorrow.

Found a site transformers.co.nz that look promising.

24V 10A = 240W so a decent sized transformer.

If the output is being rectified to DC you'll need to allow for the increased RMS due to the very peaky rectifier current. Given the next frame size up from 250VA is 500VA you'll be looking at $100+

Do you want 24V 10A AC or 24VDC at 10A?

If it's 24VDC at 10A then the above applies + you'll also need about 18VAC as rectified, allowing for diode drops and under load this will come out at about 24VDC (depending on the VA, transformer regulation and the impedance of the filter caps).

You may be better off with a switchmode supply - more expensive but nicely regulated and PFC...

Thanks warren

I need 24VDC. It will be going through a rectifier and the through a capacitor to smooth it out.

Here is one overseas that is recommended by the driver supplier. http://www.mpja.com/24V-10A-Center-Tapped-12-0-12-Transformer/productinfo/7846%20TR/

Each stepper motor will draw 3A and I have 3 of them.

I don't know much about all of this so I am learning as I go.

global pc down here in chch have those transformers give them a bell should be able to send it to ya

I seen global pc.

http://www.globalpc.co.nz/Computers/Transformers/Mains/Index.aspx

and seem to be good prices. I just need to figure out exactly what I need since people are bringing up things that confuse me and I realize I need to make sure I get this right. :oops:

• 1 month later...

After calling soo many places around NZ I couldn't find anything available under $200. All quality NZ made transformers or imports with high mark ups.

So I ended up importing my own. $24USD! :bggrn: $90NZD shipping. Still cheaper than buying here.

All wired up.

null_zps443acb65.jpg

Very close to finishing this now. Gave it some leegs and feet today. :cofn:

null_zps9dc69284.jpg

null_zps6b03eb4a.jpg