Juwel internal filter making noise and spitting out air

Gatito

I've just downgraded from my Juwel Rio tank to a smaller 60L one. Set up and the filter is quiet/normal for a few seconds then it kind of hums and spits out a little burst of air.

I've taken the powerhead out and run it submerged in the tank and it's fine. I've also submerged it in its case to get any air out of the impellor chamber etc, then kept it surrounded by water as i put it back in place by blocking the holes in the casing. Is there air trapped in the black box housing somewhere near it? It must be a lot because it's run like this for a few days now and no end in sight. how do i fix this?

It sounds like there's air in the filter. Firstly, are you sure it's not drawing air into the filter? If so, is there any way you can flush the air that gets trapped in there out of the filter? Perhaps pumping some water in there with a siphon hose and blowing water into it.

It sounds like there's air in the filter. Firstly, are you sure it's not drawing air into the filter? If so, is there any way you can flush the air that gets trapped in there out of the filter? Perhaps pumping some water in there with a siphon hose and blowing water into it.

It's completely submerged when its running. I've just had a look and can't see any air pockets, wondering if its drawing air trapped in the filter media so having a tinker now

my Juwel filter does the same thing, I have to fill the water past the maximum line by about 4mm for it to stop burbling.

Every 2 or 3 weeks it starts again, I add another cup of water or 2 and it's quiet again.

Thanks, yeah I went right to the max line and it stopped for a little bit. Has been doing it every now and again so I reposition the filter media and it comes right. Need to adjust the eheim bio balls I think & should sort permanently. Thanks for the tip!!