Automatic fly spray in rooms with fish tanks...

newaqua

Hey All,

Does anyone here use the fly sprays that you sit up high, and they spray from a large canister, automatically, getting rid of flies?

We have a huge amount of flies this year, for some reason, you could count 50 in the lounge alone.

I have heard that you are not ment to use them due to fish tanks being around.

Does anyone use them, and have a fish tank in the same room? Any problems?

My flatmate bought one once, it says EXTREMELY toxic to all aquatic life, remove all fishtanks from the room before spraying. I didnt take the chance, and have too many tanks to move. Instead i got a 5 dollar electric fly swat which is awesome fun and just tap them into a tank and most fish love them. Up to my third zapper now !

Like I said, never had any issues from using one .

Have been for 2 years now.

You can be paranoid if you like, but it hasn't done anything to any of my fish and I have 3 tanks in the living room where the spray is located.

the mortein one I bought has no warnings about fish or any other pets.

:nilly:

Good old permethrin - sounds much more cuddly than it's full name, 3-Phenoxybenzyl (1RS)-cis,trans-3-(2,2-dichlorovinyl) -2,2-dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate.

"Permethrin is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic life in general, so extreme care must be taken when using products containing permethrin near water sources."

"Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors. Carcinogenic action in nasal mucosal cells due to inhalation exposure is suspected, due to observed genotoxicity in human tissue samples, and in rat livers the evidence of increased pre-neoplastic lesions raises concern over oral exposure."

I do not use them but a lot would depend on how well covered your tanks are too. I spray, when I have to, everywhere but the end of the room where the tank is. My tank has a solid wood lid though so I would probably be able to spray over it with no problems.

Personally I found Mortein useless and prefer Raid :wink:

we have had many customers reporting fish losses without causes. asked about fly sprays and when they have stopped using these auto units, have stopped losing fish. as a test, started using again only to loose more fish.

i certainly wouldnt use one.

Good old permethrin - sounds much more cuddly than it's full name, 3-Phenoxybenzyl (1RS)-cis,trans-3-(2,2-dichlorovinyl) -2,2-dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate.

"Permethrin is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic life in general, so extreme care must be taken when using products containing permethrin near water sources."

"Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors. Carcinogenic action in nasal mucosal cells due to inhalation exposure is suspected, due to observed genotoxicity in human tissue samples, and in rat livers the evidence of increased pre-neoplastic lesions raises concern over oral exposure."

what brand uses that? the stuff we have has pyrethrin ingredients.

I haven't had any issues with ours.

Yep, I just had a look at a can of Raid which has three active ingredients, and they are all pyrethoids:

Tetramethrin (1,3-dioxo-4,5,6,7-tetrahydroisoindol-2-yl)methyl-2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl)cyclopropane-1-carboxylate

Phenothrin (3-Phenoxyphenyl)methyl 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl)cyclopropane-1-carboxylate

Allethrin (1R-(1α(S*),3β))-(2-methyl-4-oxo-3-prop-2-enylcyclopent-2-en-1-yl)-2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl)cyclopropane-1-carboxylate

In testing, the LC50 (concentration that killed half the test subjects) for Allethrin ranged from 2.6 ppb for bioallethrin in coho salmon to 80 ppb for s-bioallethrin in fathead minnows. That's parts per billion.

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note to this but still on topic (kinda)

I have found a few ants enjoying the top of one of my tanks in my fish room.

Is that Raid ant bait safe to use around tanks? Mainly thinking after an ant comes in contact and it falling into a tank and either being eatn or contaminating the water?

Any thoughts?