Furan 2 for cyano?

F15hguy

has anyone had any experience using furan 2 for Cyano, one of my Display tanks is making me tear my hair out, and being a store display tank I can only do a partial black out if at all....

I've only used erythromycin for it which worked well... If you can get it that's what I'd suggest.

What happens after you treat the symptoms? The cause will still be there and it'll just come back. You need more flow dude.

Cause already sorted, unable to increase flow due to design of tank (all the cords are built into the stand :an!gry )

was a phosphate increase due to someone adding "pond" fertiliser sticks, and I forgot to turn lights off over night.

water changes have fixed phosphate problem (down to 0) and Nitrates are barely registering on the test (so around 0-2.5 ppm)

even though it still manages to recolonise in about 2 days.

you need chemi clean.

distributor is Aquanet

Cleans many types of stains from cyanobacteria

Works in fresh and salt water

Completely safe for all fish, corals, invertebrates, and nitrifying bacteria

Chemiclean cleans stains from red, black, blue-green, and methane (bubble) producing cyanobacteria in marine aquariums.

It is completely safe for all fish, corals, invertebrates, and nitrifying bacteria in reef systems. It’s simple, quick and easy to use. Chemiclean works within 48 hours oxidizing trapped organic sludge and promotes an ideal enzyme balance. Chemiclean will clean stains from red cyanobacteria in aquariums.

It is completely safe for all fish, corals, invertebrates, desirable macro algae, and nitrifying bacteria in reef systems. It’s simple, quick and easy to use. Chemiclean works within 48 hours oxidizing trapped organic sludge and promotes an ideal enzyme balance. Chemiclean will clean stains from red cyanobacteria in aquariums.

Cyano can still thrive without phosphates. It is a bacteria, so they can easily adapt to thriving off other compounds in your tank. Hence why it is a pain to get rid of and one of the only things that can get rid of it is provided by vets as an anti biotic.

Once it kills it off you need to physically remove the dead cyano as it will sit in your tank and rot if not removed.

Cyano can still thrive without phosphates. It is a bacteria, so they can easily adapt to thriving off other compounds in your tank. Hence why it is a pain to get rid of and one of the only things that can get rid of it is provided by vets as an anti biotic.

Once it kills it off you need to physically remove the dead cyano as it will sit in your tank and rot if not removed.

Yup, Cyno thrives when phosphase are too high or too low, when Nitrogen is in excess and CO2 is too low relative to the light level. It can only thrive when the balance optimal for plant growth is upset. It can also thrive if there is too much UV vs nutrient balance and CO2.

In tanks with no plants cyno says YAY!!!! - Especially when nitrogen is in abundance.

Both furan 2 and erythromycin will kill cyano. Working at a shop with tanks I would have expected both to be in the fish first aid kit?

unfortunately Furan 2 is long gone and had no need of it for over a year, not even for customers.

erythromycine is prescription only and therefore costly (plus has a shelf date) so is not worth it until all options are expired.

Ever tried hydrogen peroxide? I had a bad outbreak in a small tank, and i put i think about 1ml per 5l (of the 3% strength stuff) and within a day or 2 its all gone.

I thought you weren't supposed to use H2O2 in an aquarium because it affects the pH?

I thought you weren't supposed to use H2O2 in an aquarium because it affects the pH?

I think that has been proven to be a myth dude, people use it all the time to help kill different types of algae with great success. In larger doses it would be harmful to fauna and beneficial bacteria though.

I think that has been proven to be a myth dude, people use it all the time to help kill different types of algae with great success. In larger doses it would be harmful to fauna and beneficial bacteria though.

Please beware of the advice you are imparting.

H2O2 is a very powerful oxidising agent and will burn your fish's gills. It will kill them along with any plant and algae in stronger doses. It is very effective at killing algae - but at what cost.

I should know. I wiped out an entire tank with thousands in livestock in one go.

P44, nothing in my statement is incorrect and I even warned at higher doses it will be harmful so why should I beware?

Just because you had a bad experience using it does not mean it shouldn't be considered. Just Google it and you will find just as many people that have great success using it on all types of algae with no ill effects.

People do use it with great success but of course being a dangerous chemical there is a risk of harming livestock. If I were ever going to do it I would just spot treat the affected areas with the filter off to give it a longer time to be in contact with the affected area. Only for 5 minutes or so though.