Dumbo Fighter Resilience

Ghaz

How have people been finding the imported Dumbo fighters?

Got one last week, but he died last night.

he had a slight notch on his mouth which by the looks is a deformity on him, but on saturday(2 days after i bought him) he started to lose his fins, then started to go blind in his left eye, then his scales on left side started to fade. quarantined him when he started to lose fins and medicate him.

he was in a long tank divided so i can breed, a CT in one division, and a mustard gas i bought at same time in the next division, and a bunch of females in the 4th division. as he was small i kep him alone. The mustard gas is perfectly healthy, and had a nice nest which i will be releasing the female when i get home, and CT is resting from last spawn. all divisions have almond leaves which thought would reduce stress and keep fins in good shape.

test kit didn't show any spikes in ammonia or anything, was checking daily from a couple days before i picked him up.

was hoping to breed some mustard gas with dumbo, and try get some mustard dumbos, or orange dumbos.

Any ideas? would like to get another, but dont want to waste another $80 on a dead fish.

I dont think it is necessarily your dumbo but sounds like either fin rot or columnaris. If it is columnaris I would keep your males away from your females for a good month as it is highly infectious and they may well have caught it through being in the same container.

Same with finrot if it was bacterial.

just googled Columnaris, and you may be right, which im guessing eventuates to fin rot...

He did get finrot, but his health degraded alot faster than when i have had fighters in the past with it.

all my females are kept seperate and the containers i float them in with the males are water tight.

I removed the sick boy as soon as i saw a change in his health, and did water changes and treated etc. so think my remaining stock is fine. my other male looks very healthy and active(not a mark on his fins, he's a very nice HM specimen) so may have been the tank the dumbo was from. i got him the day he arrived at petshop so wasn't in their tank long, and was probably stored in a different tank to the mustard gas from the supplier.

females are from previous purchases so they should be fine.

This happened to my fighters. Added one female from the store, didn't notice she was sick, spur of the moment rushed purchase, 3 days later all were dead. I should have quarantined, was my own fault, i just hadn't purchased fish from a pet store in so long, needless to say i am now reminded why i stopped dealing with stores and only deal with private breeders. $280 fish down the drain, not to mention an entire spawning.

Only have one male CT and 4 females from a BOCT strain left that im hoping to cross.

ummmm... aren't you the one asking for better quality imports????, how do you expect that to happen if you only deal privately. most good stores will offer a one off garantee if you talk to the manager and explain your situation properly, I gave a girl a 2 week garantee the other day on a $100 fighter I specially ordered in for her, the babies are now growing and I have first dibs for 1/4 wholesale price.

ummmm... aren't you the one asking for better quality imports????, how do you expect that to happen if you only deal privately. most good stores will offer a one off garantee if you talk to the manager and explain your situation properly, I gave a girl a 2 week garantee the other day on a $100 fighter I specially ordered in for her, the babies are now growing and I have first dibs for 1/4 wholesale price.

Where in this thread have i asked for that? enlighten me.

You work for a store so of course your going to be prejudice.

It would be amazing if ANY store EVER gave me ANY kind of guarantee on ANY livestock. Has never happened. So, you sir! are one of a kind and had your store been closer to mine i would perhaps consider it.

I deal with people who are involved in importing and breeding and get far better prices, esp when purchasing in bulk.

Got my last BOCT and girls for some leopards and $20, bet you couldn't do that.

Yes they do, on all fish livestock. I've replaced fish many times. You just need to bring back the dead fishy or a photo on your phone and a water test - if the water test comes out fine they should replace it. I know there's signs up in the Botany store, not sure about the others but policy is the same.