Are there any catfish enthusiast's left?

KrazyGeoff

Lets say each of the breeding stock costs $200, and you can't sex them so you need to get a few, say 5 (for a round number).

So $200 each for the adults, $1000 total, or $200 for the group?

If I'd spent a grand on a group of not-often-bred fish I'd want a bit more than $50 for the first couple of spawns.

So $200 each for the adults, $1000 total, or $200 for the group?

If I'd spent a grand on a group of not-often-bred fish I'd want a bit more than $50 for the first couple of spawns.

That would be $1,000 total in this example.

how many breeders are there for Hypancistrus zebra these day?

To use the Zebra's as an example we are now talking about in excess of $10,000 (you would want more than 5 as the imported ones were not sexable.)

The cost to get an imported Zebra now is in excess of $1,000 (each)

There are some domestic ones around but even at $399.00 there is no-one buying them, so the question regarding how many people is breeding them almost insane. The question is "why is no-one buying them?"

One of my points of interest is that if no-one is going to buy the fish, then the breeders won't breed the fish.

And as Josh points out the importers are not really importing the expensive stuff as no-one will buy them.

Cheers

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find some bred locally but it seems the few people who have managed to breed them just sell to hff. They probably keep quite a few aswell for personal breeding stock. $399 is a pretty reasonable price considering how highly valued these plecs seem to be worldwide, but you would still think someone would be willing to sell them privately without the markup that petstores add.

Saying that the hff price has nearly halved in the short space of a few years so they may be even cheaper in the near future.

The only one I have seen listed on trademe privately was from Jamos and I am not sure if it sold or not.

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find some bred locally but it seems the few people who have managed to breed them just sell to hff. They probably keep quite a few aswell for personal breeding stock. $399 is a pretty reasonable price considering how highly valued these plecs seem to be worldwide, but you would still think someone would be willing to sell them privately without the markup that petstores add.

Saying that the hff price has nearly halved in the short space of a few years so they may be even cheaper in the near future.

The only one I have seen listed on trademe privately was from Jamos and I am not sure if it sold or not.

So what do you think a fair price would be then?

Just for the sake of the discussion?

Previous comments suggest 25% of the cost of the purchase price of the breeding stock, with a rarity premium, so are you thinking .........

Well, from looking online at prices that they generally sell for I would think somewhere around the $250-300 range is quite fair.

It all comes down to many different factors though like size, quality, original cost, etc. etc.

I guess it always comes back to what the interested buyer is prepared to pay bearing in mind that most people aren't prepared to pay the big money for a fish that you rarely get to see and should not be kept in a community tank in my opinion.

I know that in the near future I will be definitely buying some wether it be from hff or a private breeder, I have always wanted some and am prepared to spend the money when I have it.

• 3 weeks later...