My java fern is going brown

bjfew

Hi, I have a tank with standard, narrow and windelov java fern. The tank is 150 litres with a thin layer of red grit at the bottom. All the java fern is growing on driftwood. Temperature is 25C, pH is 6.8, Amonia is 0ppm, Nitrate is 0ppm and I do weekly 30% water changes. I add Flourish twice a week but no CO2. The broad leaf and narrow leaf are doing well but 20% of the Windelov leaves are staring to go brown. I had this problem before and it spread like a virus to all the java fern.

Any one know what I can do to stop this.

Yep had the same thing, found some Google information about die-back being caused by phosphate levels being too low if I recall, but wasn't able to do anything about it. The speed at which it spread reminded me of Metastasis though...

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have started this post I have been in contact with Raymond "lotofish" who has helped me stop the spread of this terrible disease. I stopped CO2 and fertiliser and performed a 50% water change. Then I removed my java ferns one by one and diligently removed all the leaves that showed signes of brown. Before placing them back in the tank I rinsed them under tap water. I have been monitoring the plants for the last 5 days and they all seem to be doing well, no sign of the brown plague :thup:

Thanks Raymond

• 1 month later...
Since I have started this post I have been in contact with Raymond "lotofish" who has helped me stop the spread of this terrible disease. I stopped CO2 and fertiliser and performed a 50% water change. Then I removed my java ferns one by one and diligently removed all the leaves that showed signes of brown. Before placing them back in the tank I rinsed them under tap water. I have been monitoring the plants for the last 5 days and they all seem to be doing well, no sign of the brown plague :thup:

Thanks Raymond

Hi, was just wondering if the brown ever came back?